Appropriate attire for open house?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

lets_get_physical

Appropriate attire for open house?

Postby lets_get_physical » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:09 am

Silly question i know, but what is appropriate attire when attending open house. I assume its not super formal, i.e. no suit and tie. Jeans and a collared shirt ok?

lxhrk9

Re: Appropriate attire for open house?

Postby lxhrk9 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:14 am

I've attended UT Austin and Cornell's Open House so far and almost everyone had on jeans an a nice sweater/collared shirt (with the exception of a few ladies in skirts and some khaki's here and there)

Andromeda

Postby Andromeda » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:52 am

I've helped out on various open houses in the past and I've seen it all for sure, and I think what you have in mind will be perfectly fine. I definitely wouldn't show up dressed as a slob tho or anything like that- you'd be amazed at how many people do!

wavicle

Postby wavicle » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:35 pm

My choices of wardrobe are hipster doofus (think Kramer) or slightly over dressed. This is due to a combination of some clothes being packed in a box, and which clothes are clean.

bfollinprm

Postby bfollinprm » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:13 am

go Kramer. But make sure you say "Let the cat RIGHT OUT THE BAG!" at least 15 times a day. Also, just burst into professors offices and talk to them about "research*", especially when they're closed.

*Actually talk to them about Newman.

EDIT: I just want to be clear that I'm totally serious.

jack21222

Postby jack21222 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:48 pm

lets_get_physical wrote:Silly question i know, but what is appropriate attire when attending open house. I assume its not super formal, i.e. no suit and tie. Jeans and a collared shirt ok?

I wore jeans and an APS "Don't Drink and Derive" t-shirt. Some others wore suits. It's highly unlikely they'll withdraw your application to attend based on how you dress. Wear what you want.

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”