Does offer to visit essentialy equal acceptance ?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

yg9

Does offer to visit essentialy equal acceptance ?

Post by yg9 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:13 am

Hi everyone,

I know this is quite early, but yesterday I received an email from U Chicago with an invitation to visit on Feb 2nd (travel and hotel expenses paid). I applied to the biophysics program, whose deadline was on December 15th (I basically submitted at the deadline).

I'm very excited, of course, but also a bit incredulous: does this mean I am most probably already accepted or might there be some kind of interview (perhaps this is just first round)? So I would appreciate any thoughts: for most programs, does an offer to visit (with expensed paid by the program) imply that you have been accepted ? Thanks!

bfollinprm

Re: Does offer to visit essentialy equal acceptance ?

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:59 pm

I think at this point the acceptance is yours to lose. I've heard of departments bringing in people to interview and using that to rank the students for fellowships, etc; with the worst students invited possibly not being given acceptance. I know that Chicago's Physics does NOT do this, but maybe biophysics does.

Congrats in either case though!

EDIT: To several schools I applied to, I was accepted within the week. So it isn't that incredulous, though I AM surprised anyone is at work to send you the email (the schools I had quick turnarounds for had mid-to-late January deadlines, not just before Christmas).

InquilineKea

Post by InquilineKea » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:06 pm

How did you get accepted so early? Did the department email you, or did a professor email you? Was it even before the first round of acceptances were sent out? And did you contact professors beforehand?

Also - what programs did you get early acceptances from? This seems far more common from biology/biophysics programs than for pure physical science programs.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:03 pm

Considering the quick acceptances came from the schools lower on my list, I'd guess I got accepted so fast because I was a shoe-in applicant. I did email professors, so my name might have gotten moved to the front of the pile for that reason as well.

I don't think fast acceptances matter at all--I got better (financial) offers later on, so no real advantage other than not having to wait forever for an answer on whether I was going to SOME grad school.