Field and Support preference form for MIT application

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

sarthorks

Field and Support preference form for MIT application

Postby sarthorks » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:13 pm

According to the MIT physics admissions website (http://web.mit.edu/physics/prospective/graduate/index.html), a completed application must include the "Field and Support Preference form" which "...is included in the online physics application" (http://web.mit.edu/physics/prospective/graduate/prefform.html).

I have registered online for the application, however I have been unable to find the required Field and Support Preference form.

Can anyone shed some light on where to acquire/find this form and how exactly to submit this (online or by post) ?

Thanks.

sydfloyd

Re: Field and Support preference form for MIT application

Postby sydfloyd » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:45 pm

I believe the field preference is under "Application Information" (page 1) where you select a preferred research field of interest and support preference is under "Financial Support" (page 9).

It might be best to send an email to physics-grad [at] mit.edu and ask them about this.

sarthorks

Postby sarthorks » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:29 am

Thanks.
I did send an email to them.

Are you applying this year? Maybe someone who has applied in the previous years can confirm if there is not so much as a field and support preference "form", as individual entries (on page 1 and 9) to be filled up in the online application, as sydfloyd suggested.

But then i do not understand why they expressly mention on the website (http://web.mit.edu/physics/prospective/graduate/index.html) that a complete application includes both the online application and field and support preference form, if it is anyway part of the online process.

MilkDuds

Postby MilkDuds » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:04 pm

sarthorks, did you get a response from MIT about the form?

sydfloyd

Postby sydfloyd » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:35 pm

I sent an e-mail to the MIT physics graduate admissions office and got a response. What I mentioned earlier in this thread is correct.

ol

Postby ol » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Last edited by ol on Fri May 10, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarthorks

Postby sarthorks » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:36 am

I never got a reply. Thanks sydfloyd.

I do not really have anything to fill in the Financial form, except say yes to considering me for fellowships.

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”