Hearing back from University after accepting offer

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

waitingsucks
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Hearing back from University after accepting offer

Postby waitingsucks » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:19 pm

I haven't received any information since accepting my offer. I guess it would be natural for them to send out some welcoming information to all incoming grads, no? By the way, I am planning to attend UT Austin, so if someone is going there too, did you hear back from them?

enthree
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:11 am

Re: Hearing back from University after accepting offer

Postby enthree » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:23 am

I haven't heard anything yet, but I presume that's because mail takes 2+ weeks to reach me.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Hearing back from University after accepting offer

Postby grae313 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:46 am

All admitted students should eventually receive welcome packets with tons of information about getting started in the program, probably TA training, and housing availabilities, etc. It's still fairly likely that your department just has not yet mailed this out. If you haven't heard anything by June I might contact the program and inquire, but otherwise I'd just hold tight.

waitingsucks
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Hearing back from University after accepting offer

Postby waitingsucks » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:13 pm

grae313 wrote:All admitted students should eventually receive welcome packets with tons of information about getting started in the program, probably TA training, and housing availabilities, etc. It's still fairly likely that your department just has not yet mailed this out. If you haven't heard anything by June I might contact the program and inquire, but otherwise I'd just hold tight.

As late as June! Wow ok. I'm just a little desperate because I want to get moving with housing, etc.

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: Hearing back from University after accepting offer

Postby HappyQuark » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:32 pm

waitingsucks wrote:
grae313 wrote:All admitted students should eventually receive welcome packets with tons of information about getting started in the program, probably TA training, and housing availabilities, etc. It's still fairly likely that your department just has not yet mailed this out. If you haven't heard anything by June I might contact the program and inquire, but otherwise I'd just hold tight.

As late as June! Wow ok. I'm just a little desperate because I want to get moving with housing, etc.


You may have to give the school a call or send an email. UH has told me they are sending me a welcome packet but in the mean time I was able to go to their website and get my email and accounts set up, apply for housing and work on registering for classes.

waitingsucks
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Re: Hearing back from University after accepting offer

Postby waitingsucks » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:45 am

HappyQuark wrote:
waitingsucks wrote:
grae313 wrote:All admitted students should eventually receive welcome packets with tons of information about getting started in the program, probably TA training, and housing availabilities, etc. It's still fairly likely that your department just has not yet mailed this out. If you haven't heard anything by June I might contact the program and inquire, but otherwise I'd just hold tight.

As late as June! Wow ok. I'm just a little desperate because I want to get moving with housing, etc.


You may have to give the school a call or send an email. UH has told me they are sending me a welcome packet but in the mean time I was able to go to their website and get my email and accounts set up, apply for housing and work on registering for classes.


I'll try to call. I did send them an email, but haven't received an answer.
There is no chance that you could be removed from your offer right? This might sound dumb but I heard a spooky story at the gradcafe forums, I don't know if it's true though. I was just hoping to get some sort of "hey, we got your response to our offer, welcome" type of email. It shouldn't be so hard.




Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest