Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

User avatar
InquilineKea
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby InquilineKea » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Yes, I know, it's a *very* crazy idea. :p But, you know, you might actually be very surprised.

It probably has a higher chance of actually working when it comes with professors who openly embrace the blogosphere, like Sean Carroll.

Has anyone else tried this?

negru
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby negru » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:18 pm

Nah I use vampirefreaks.com for that

TheBeast
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:06 am

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby TheBeast » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:35 pm

InquilineKea wrote:
Has anyone else tried this?


Are you implying that you've done this?

Side-note: one of my friends has Carroll as one of his Facebook friends and he usually posts some pretty funny replies to my friend's status updates.

CarlBrannen
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby CarlBrannen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:04 am

My sister lets her students facebook her. Hilarity ensues when they make up excuses for late homework that conflict with facebook entries such as photos of their wild party.

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby HappyQuark » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:20 am

InquilineKea wrote:Yes, I know, it's a *very* crazy idea. :p But, you know, you might actually be very surprised.

It probably has a higher chance of actually working when it comes with professors who openly embrace the blogosphere, like Sean Carroll.

Has anyone else tried this?


Ugggghhhhh, I hate the word blogosphere. Why is it that an artificially delineated piece of the internet needs some special and ridiculous sounding term to describe it. A group of forums isn't referred to as the "forum scene", a collection of wikis isn't called the "wiki-space" and social networks aren't dubbed the "social web-er-verse".

bfollinprm
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby bfollinprm » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:46 am

TheBeast wrote:
Side-note: one of my friends has Carroll as one of his Facebook friends and he usually posts some pretty funny replies to my friend's status updates.


Same here. As a result he always pops up in the "people you may know" section. So tempting!

bfollinprm
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:44 am

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby bfollinprm » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:29 am

HappyQuark wrote: A group of forums isn't referred to as the "forum scene", a collection of wikis isn't called the "wiki-space" and social networks aren't dubbed the "social web-er-verse".


copy and paste this to 4chan, and it will be so.

User avatar
twistor
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby twistor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:05 am

bfollinprm wrote:
HappyQuark wrote: A group of forums isn't referred to as the "forum scene", a collection of wikis isn't called the "wiki-space" and social networks aren't dubbed the "social web-er-verse".


copy and paste this to 4chan, and it will be so.


bump

newfags can't triforce

negru
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby negru » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:40 pm


▲▲

am i doin it rite

User avatar
twistor
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby twistor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:10 pm

noh :/

TheBeast
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:06 am

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby TheBeast » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:04 pm

This is why we can't have nice things.

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby HappyQuark » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:10 pm

negru wrote:
▲▲

am i doin it rite


Image

User avatar
YodaT
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 2:01 am

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby YodaT » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:47 am

negru wrote:
▲▲

am i doin it rite


What... are you 14?

User avatar
twistor
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby twistor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:35 pm

YodaT wrote:
negru wrote:
▲▲

am i doin it rite


What... are you 14?


*** or gtfo

negru
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Facebooking prospective professors rather than emailing them

Postby negru » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:59 pm

TheBeast wrote:This is why we can't have nice things.

Sorry, but the PhysicsGRE forum is a troll eat troll jungle.




Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests