larry burns wrote:Has anyone here played schools off each other if you get multiple acceptances? For instance if theres a school thats taking a really long time to make a decision about your admission, if you email them to say that you have other offers to respond to and ask if they please let you know, did you then shortly receive an email back later letting you know they now accepted you?
No way. We all know about the April 15th deadline and we all know that everyone has other offers to respond to. This is a very busy time of year, and e-mails like that are just annoying.
larry burns wrote:How about playing funding packages off each other? Say you want to go to school A but school B is offering you more money. Lets say you tell school A "I'd really like to go but B is offering better funding, is there any way you could match that or at least increase what you're offering me?". Will that work and you can get a better offer?
This might work, but don't expect it to. Many schools can offer extra fellowships to a couple of students (typically 3K/year or so for a couple of years), and if they have one or two of these left, and really want you, then it might work.
Riley's idea of asking for an RA, or else the possibility of working this summer, can certainly work and is fair. Note, Riley, that many schools require teaching for a PhD, so you will eventually have to teach at some point....