Student funding for engineering based programs

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

WhoaNonstop

Student funding for engineering based programs

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:46 am

Hey everyone

I'm sure someone has a quick and easy answer to this. I've been finding a lot of the Material Science programs interesting and was wondering how students are funded. Is it similar to physics? What would a teaching assistant have to teach or do they not have funding until research?

-Riley

schwiss

Re: Student funding for engineering based programs

Post by schwiss » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:19 am

I have understood that approximately 100% of science and engineering PhD students are fully funded. Moreover, one would guess that because material science is a field with great commercial potential, it's funded exceptionally well. That said, I have looked at zero material science programs myself, so I really don't know.

No idea about TAing.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm thinking about changing some of my applications to Materials Science Engineering. Will getting into these programs be more difficult for someone with a Physics degree?

-Riley

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:07 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:I'm thinking about changing some of my applications to Materials Science Engineering. Will getting into these programs be more difficult for someone with a Physics degree?

-Riley
that's true. applying with chemistry background is even easier. I think it's kind of major that you should find a professor somewhere who likes you and upon admission he may assign you some TA duties in his courses or let you in his lab from the very beginning which means that contacting them before applying is not as waste-of-time as it is when applying to physics programs. and many of them are doing "nano" type research with good finding which is dream for physicists.