Still Waiting 2010

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

matonski
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:03 pm

Still Waiting 2010

Postby matonski » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:19 pm

This was a topic last year.

I'm still waiting for UCSB and UT Austin.

terrence
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby terrence » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:47 pm

Santa Barbara and Boston University here.

mor2020
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby mor2020 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:01 am

Waiting for Texas A&M :!: :?:

arieszen
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:01 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby arieszen » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:34 am

UIUC, am I in or out? :(

ads
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby ads » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:56 am

Waiting on UCSB, NYU, UPenn...and Imperial College over here in the UK.

endobmm
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby endobmm » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:59 am

Waiting on Rutgers and CUNY

newt11
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:10 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby newt11 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Oregon and CSU-Fort Collins

johnpauljones
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby johnpauljones » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:22 am

In a slightly different vein, I'm still waiting to hear back about the DOE SCGF Fellowship. They said 3/20 was the notification date, so I'm not sure if no news is good news (as in, all announcements have been delayed) or no news is bad news (as in, don't call us we'll call you).

On a positive note, Linda Young from DOE gave a talk at the APS March Meeting last week and she said they're planning to give out closer to 160 of these fellowships, up from the 80 I had heard originally quoted.

So, has anyone heard back on their application one way or the other? PM me if you're too shy to boast/bemoan your fate on the forum :|

Some_guy
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:43 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby Some_guy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:51 am

Waiting on:

Texas A&M (physics/interest in new astro PhD if it gets off the ground)
Rutgers (physics)
U Hawaii (astro) - probably going to be rejection the waitlist emails have been sent
JHU (physics)
Umass (astro)
U. of Pittsburgh (physics)
U. of Oklahoma (physics)

Its probably looking grim this late in the game though... :cry:

rdutta
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:54 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby rdutta » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:48 am

Waiting on Northwestern, UPenn, and UMD

Also waiting on the DoE, DoD, and NSF fellowships

*edit*
As of 3/30, I still have not heard from any of these schools/fellowships
Last edited by rdutta on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ComboOrgan
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:39 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby ComboOrgan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:53 am

johnpauljones wrote:In a slightly different vein, I'm still waiting to hear back about the DOE SCGF Fellowship. They said 3/20 was the notification date, so I'm not sure if no news is good news (as in, all announcements have been delayed) or no news is bad news (as in, don't call us we'll call you).

On a positive note, Linda Young from DOE gave a talk at the APS March Meeting last week and she said they're planning to give out closer to 160 of these fellowships, up from the 80 I had heard originally quoted.

So, has anyone heard back on their application one way or the other? PM me if you're too shy to boast/bemoan your fate on the forum :|


I talked to someone a few weeks ago who had heard from the CSGF, and they told him he was in their final round. I took that to mean that I was out.
sorry JPJ

golick2000
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby golick2000 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:10 am

Still waiting for UCSB and Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Anyone got response from Urbana??
P.S. Though all that does not matter as have already accepted MIT's offer. But anyway simply interesting.

User avatar
Helio
Posts: 809
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:11 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby Helio » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:58 pm

One of the undergrads got into UPenn today... so they are still accepting people

meggo
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby meggo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:07 pm

ComboOrgan wrote:
johnpauljones wrote:In a slightly different vein, I'm still waiting to hear back about the DOE SCGF Fellowship. They said 3/20 was the notification date, so I'm not sure if no news is good news (as in, all announcements have been delayed) or no news is bad news (as in, don't call us we'll call you).

On a positive note, Linda Young from DOE gave a talk at the APS March Meeting last week and she said they're planning to give out closer to 160 of these fellowships, up from the 80 I had heard originally quoted.

So, has anyone heard back on their application one way or the other? PM me if you're too shy to boast/bemoan your fate on the forum :|


I talked to someone a few weeks ago who had heard from the CSGF, and they told him he was in their final round. I took that to mean that I was out.
sorry JPJ


The CSGF and the SCGF are two different fellowships haha...unfortunate acronyms.

Also, I'm waiting to hear back from both, and the application on the SGCF page says that those who won would be notified by the 20th, so I'm not too optimistic, but we'll see I guess. And the CSGF one said that we would find out by mail, so I've just stopped even checking the website or anything.

theoretical_phys
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:16 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby theoretical_phys » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Still waiting to hear from Oxford and Portsmouth. Both Astro.

CKtalon
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:25 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby CKtalon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Just received the acceptance email from UCSB half an hour ago! Finally! I thought all hope was lost!

fc_pga
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:24 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby fc_pga » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:28 am

CKtalon wrote:Just received the acceptance email from UCSB half an hour ago! Finally! I thought all hope was lost!


Congratulations! If you're attending UCSB we'll be seeing each other in a few months' time. :)

Just a question: as an international student, is your UCSB offer package an RA-ship or a TA-ship? You may reply via PM if you wish.

physicscoder
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:44 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby physicscoder » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:47 am

Waiting on UNM and CSU - Fort Collins

quark314
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby quark314 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:21 am

UPenn.

Fingers very much crossed still. I Like their program quite a lot. But I really just want to know yes or no so I can focus on making decisions with all the information on the table.

(also UCSD still hasn't given out the financial info that they said would be out by mid-march...)

Edit: nevermind...just got the email from UCSD...16.5k TA + 11k fellowship for 9 mo. :)
Last edited by quark314 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matonski
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:03 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby matonski » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:55 pm

matonski wrote:I'm still waiting for UCSB and UT Austin.

No longer waiting for UCSB. Got rejected through the website status page.

ads
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby ads » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:07 pm

Likewise with UCSB. Rejected through website. Very expected.

matonski
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:03 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby matonski » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:20 am

All I have left is UT Austin. They had the earliest application deadline plus an online status that I've been checking obsessively for like 2 months.

johnpauljones
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby johnpauljones » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:24 pm

meggo wrote:
ComboOrgan wrote:
johnpauljones wrote:In a slightly different vein, I'm still waiting to hear back about the DOE SCGF Fellowship. They said 3/20 was the notification date, so I'm not sure if no news is good news (as in, all announcements have been delayed) or no news is bad news (as in, don't call us we'll call you).

On a positive note, Linda Young from DOE gave a talk at the APS March Meeting last week and she said they're planning to give out closer to 160 of these fellowships, up from the 80 I had heard originally quoted.

So, has anyone heard back on their application one way or the other? PM me if you're too shy to boast/bemoan your fate on the forum :|


I talked to someone a few weeks ago who had heard from the CSGF, and they told him he was in their final round. I took that to mean that I was out.
sorry JPJ


The CSGF and the SCGF are two different fellowships haha...unfortunate acronyms.

Also, I'm waiting to hear back from both, and the application on the SGCF page says that those who won would be notified by the 20th, so I'm not too optimistic, but we'll see I guess. And the CSGF one said that we would find out by mail, so I've just stopped even checking the website or anything.


I'm optimistic, since it looks like there are other people on here who applied for the SCGF and still have "decision pending" in their profile in the 2010 thread...although maybe they've just been too busy celebrating to update their pages :?

johnpauljones
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby johnpauljones » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:36 am

Just noticed that they updated the SCGF page:

http://www.scied.science.doe.gov/SCGF/FAQs.html#an
When will I be notified if I did or did not receive a fellowship?
You will be notified whether or not you have been selected for the fellowship by on or around April 15, 2010.


Sneaky. Looks like the fellowship groundhog saw its shadow and we're in for 6 more weeks of waiting.

casual.omniscience
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:01 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby casual.omniscience » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:58 pm

I'm still waiting to hear from USC, U. Arizona, and UC Riverside. I know from gradcafe they've sent out at least the first wave, but I don't suppose anyone has heard anything more recently?

theoretical_phys
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:16 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby theoretical_phys » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Waitlisted by Oxford. I'm assuming that means "no."

klmn
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby klmn » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:26 pm

I am waiting to hear from Northwestern. I sent an email to Mr. Darktower there but havent got a reply yet. Does anyone know if NW has sent out all accepts ?

delton
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby delton » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:06 pm

was rejected from NYU today. Still waiting on Maryland, Rutgers, UPenn, BU and Penn State

meggo
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby meggo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:36 pm

So...not sure if I'm reading into this too much, but when I go to the Krell Institute's website (for the DOE CSGF), you can even log in to look at your application anymore. So, I guess this means they've made their decisions, and we'll hear soon?

doom
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:42 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby doom » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:52 am

Make sure you don't confuse the DOE SCGF with the DOE CSGF. Man, they made a good decision in coming up with those names, huh?

meggo
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby meggo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:28 pm

Okay, update. I called the Krell Institute. The DOE CSGF notifications were sent out last Friday; I just never got the email. I didn't get one...sadface.

rabbitcondansate
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby rabbitcondansate » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:19 pm

Still waiting for uiuc, upenn and umaryland
By the way people who are waiting replies from Rutgers should check the website, there may be a rejection waiting there, I hope it is not.

doom
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:42 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby doom » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:07 pm

So we have info on the DOE CSGF...

Has anyone heard from the DOE SCGF? I'm not really holding out much hope, but more information is always good.

Also, I guess the NDSEG notifications were supposed to go out by snail mail as of Monday.

User avatar
notnaps
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:46 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby notnaps » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 pm

doom wrote:So we have info on the DOE CSGF...

Has anyone heard from the DOE SCGF? I'm not really holding out much hope, but more information is always good.

Also, I guess the NDSEG notifications were supposed to go out by snail mail as of Monday.


The SCGF website says that applicants will be notified "on or around April 15th", so there is still hope!

delton
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby delton » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:36 pm

I called Penn State today, and they said my application was wait-listed with about 20 other apps.
(over 500 applied) .

greeezy
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 9:29 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby greeezy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:51 pm

I just got accepted to university of arizona's optical science program on monday!
I accepted yesterday. I am looking forward to it :)

tdk333
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:02 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby tdk333 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:59 pm

In case someone is waiting for Minnesota I contacted them and was told that they are making the last of their offers this week. They also told me in case many of their last offers decline they will offer late admission on April 14th.

rdutta
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:54 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby rdutta » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:03 pm

I called up UPenn, Northwestern, and UMD today. Both UPenn and Northwestern said that no one has been denied yet and the decisions will be made shortly. Northwestern said they sent out a batch that will arrive this week or early next week. I couldn't get through to anyone knowledgeable at UMD.

newt11
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:10 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby newt11 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Any international student waiting for colorado state university? I contacted Wendy and she told no decision made on my application yet and she added a decision will be made in next two weeks. For God's sake when will they decide! Anyone in same situation with me?

grenerd
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby grenerd » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:23 pm

thanks for the update rdutta, I'm also waiting on Upenn and NW.

good luck to everyone still waiting!

meggo
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby meggo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:22 am

NSF results are posted. I didn't get one. I'm now 0 for 2.

:(

doom
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:42 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby doom » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:56 pm

FYI, I got a call from someone at the DOE notifying me that I have received the SCGF Fellowship. Official notification to be sent out within a week.

So if you applied, and you get a call from a 202 area code, pick up the phone! :D

User avatar
zxcv
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:08 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby zxcv » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:14 pm

doom wrote:FYI, I got a call from someone at the DOE notifying me that I have received the SCGF Fellowship. Official notification to be sent out within a week.

Me, too!!!

(and I got the NSF last night!)

johnpauljones
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby johnpauljones » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:44 pm

zxcv wrote:
doom wrote:FYI, I got a call from someone at the DOE notifying me that I have received the SCGF Fellowship. Official notification to be sent out within a week.

Me, too!!!

(and I got the NSF last night!)


No phone call yet for me...did the status of your application on the website change yet or no?

Go with the NSF scholarship so there's one more SCGF out there for me :)

User avatar
zxcv
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:08 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby zxcv » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:44 pm

johnpauljones wrote:No phone call yet for me...did the status of your application on the website change yet or no?
Status is still "decision pending" on the website.

Go with the NSF scholarship so there's one more SCGF out there for me :)

For a theoretician like me, the SCGF gives me pretty much all the funding I could possibly hope for, with the 5k research supplement. Sorry! :)

meggo
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby meggo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:22 pm

zxcv wrote:
johnpauljones wrote:No phone call yet for me...did the status of your application on the website change yet or no?
Status is still "decision pending" on the website.

Go with the NSF scholarship so there's one more SCGF out there for me :)

For a theoretician like me, the SCGF gives me pretty much all the funding I could possibly hope for, with the 5k research supplement. Sorry! :)


Well, sounds like I'm not gonna get that one either, then.

Congratulations to those who did get the SCGF, though! :)

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby grae313 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:35 pm

zxcv wrote:
doom wrote:FYI, I got a call from someone at the DOE notifying me that I have received the SCGF Fellowship. Official notification to be sent out within a week.

Me, too!!!

(and I got the NSF last night!)


Wow! Nice going!

User avatar
noojens
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby noojens » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Congrats folks!

To those who won fellowships: any advice to those of us who'll be applying next year? I'm planning to work on my research proposals this summer, then work closely with my advisor and committee to refine them next fall... but other than that, I don't have much in the way of a strategy.

I know grae posted a few tidbits here, but I'd love to hear any more suggestions grae or others have to offer.

Gratsi!

User avatar
notnaps
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:46 am

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby notnaps » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:59 am

In the airport on my way back from visiting Stanford and Berkeley. Despite Berkeley's campus/surrounding area being amazingly awesome and funky, I like the research at Stanford better. I'm gonna sleep on it (on the plane) before I make an official decision though.

Rejected by the NSF (sadface), comments on the ratings sheet were pretty much what I expected, and pretty encouraging for my chances next year! Still waiting on DOE SCGF, but it seems unlikely at this point unless they are calling people in rounds.

doom
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:42 pm

Re: Still Waiting 2010

Postby doom » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:20 am

It's nice that the NSF provides the ratings sheets as feedback. I wish more of these things (fellowships as well as schools) would provide feedback more than a yes/no.




Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests