Curious about PGRE score reporting

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

jchys

Curious about PGRE score reporting

Post by jchys » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:42 am

Does PGRE reports to the university the test center where you have taken? In other words, does the admission committee actually knows where you have taken your exam? Or perhaps just assume that you have taken in your home country?
Last edited by jchys on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

jones

Re: Qurious about PGRE score reporting

Post by jones » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:53 am

Umm, exactly how would that matter either way? :? :?: You do know that every exam center has pretty much the same question paper right?

jones

Post by jones » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:55 am

And they don't report the test center, BTW.

Also, last time I checked, it was spelled 'Curious'. :lol:

jchys

Post by jchys » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Well, by looking at some post here, I was wondering how an asian taking PGRE in the US differ from those taking it in India/China.

highbounce

Post by highbounce » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:59 pm

It would be exactly the same. ETS recycles the questions around the world.

YellowXDart

Post by YellowXDart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:49 pm

jchys wrote:Well, by looking at some post here, I was wondering how an asian taking PGRE in the US differ from those taking it in India/China.
Well unless you believe that Asians are just genetically superior to other people (which I do, being half Korean), there is no difference between an Asian taking the GRE in the U.S. or elsewhere. The difference comes from where you were educated. A person educated outside of the U.S. usually takes classes only involving his/her major, whereas U.S. students have outside requirements (like taking English classes even when you're majoring in science fields). This means that at the end of a 4 year degree, an international student has the equivalent of a Master's degree in the U.S., but domestic students only have a Bachelor's. As a result, international students do significantly better on the GRE as opposed to U.S. students. If you went to school in China but took the GRE in the U.S., you would still do much better than someone from the U.S. who took the test in China.

Zburatorul

Re: Curious about PGRE score reporting

Post by Zburatorul » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:37 am

The difference is that some schools may not trust GRE scores of tests taken in China. I have heard rumors of massive cheating there; up to the point of the test being circulated before the test day.
This may all be just plain false, but if the people reading apps believe it, it doesn't matter.