I'll get to the point. My ultimate goal is to attend a top university in the US, and I'm currently facing a decision that could quite easily affect my chances of doing this. Here's the situation: I've just completed my first year of university at a fairly well respected insitution. Ranked 40th or so in the world according to last years Times Supplement rankings (if that means anything), but with a mediocre physics department. I've just been accepted into a nearby university that generally has a stronger reputation both locally and worldwide, is much more selective and has a larger/stronger physics department. The problem is, if I choose to transfer it will completely alter my course outline. Basically, if I stay I will graduate in 3 years with a BSc (Advanced with Honours) and be eligible to apply for a PhD immediately. If I transfer, I will graduate in 5 years with a regular BSc, what is called a "Diploma" (essentially a double degree), and a Masters. Only then will I be eligible to apply for a PhD. Obviously a much more extensive education though. I'm 21 in 6 months, and feel like another 5 years is a long time before enrolling in a PhD program.
Suggestions, advice? I have less than 2 weeks to make a decision guys!