Application Materials - Feedback from Schools

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

blackcat007

Application Materials - Feedback from Schools

Post by blackcat007 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:43 pm

for the previous year's applicants I saw a post where they could discuss whether the schools received all the applications and whether their applications were complete.. strangely I didn't see it this time.

anyhow my query is, on an avg how long does it take for the schools to notify that they have received all the things that we have mailed them?

the schools have gone shockingly unresponsive these days.. UIUC's application checklist even shows that my reco letters are not received, while on the main electronic application they are already "received"...
also many places, scores are not received, and transcripts are not received while I mailed them long back.

if anyone can comment or succor my situation :cry: , that would be helpful

geshi

Re: Complete Application Materials

Post by geshi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:25 pm

When I was applying last year, one of my schools (I think it was UT-Austin) had a physical copy of my transcripts for a long time. However, the status checker did not update until about a week after the deadline. At that point, the status checker was updated with "Received at ___" where ___ was the deadline.

There's a good chance they've received it, but if it's going through the graduate school, then it won't necessarily be updated until they've sorted through all the stuff they've received.

This year, I submitted requests for all my supporting materials about a month ago. Several status checkers are still not updated saying they've received it. Actually, I think all of them have received the GRE scores, but not transcripts.

highbounce

Post by highbounce » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 pm

Anyone had experience of turning in stuff way past deadlines?

Texas's deadline was Dec 1. I just emailed my CV and unofficial transcript to the graduate coordinator of the physics department today. And I have yet to mail my official transcript to the graduate admission office. I talked with the graduate coordinator from the physics department on the phone, he seemed to be pretty cool with my emailing him my supporting materials just now (by cool, I mean he didn't tell me "sorry, it's too late. we can't accept your stuff now.") Also, two of my professors still haven't turned in their letters yet. According to the department's website, the committee doesn't start reviewing applications until mid-January, so am I correct in thinking that I will be fine?

geshi

Post by geshi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:08 am

highbounce wrote:Anyone had experience of turning in stuff way past deadlines?

Texas's deadline was Dec 1. I just emailed my CV and unofficial transcript to the graduate coordinator of the physics department today. And I have yet to mail my official transcript to the graduate admission office. I talked with the graduate coordinator from the physics department on the phone, he seemed to be pretty cool with my emailing him my supporting materials just now (by cool, I mean he didn't tell me "sorry, it's too late. we can't accept your stuff now.") Also, two of my professors still haven't turned in their letters yet. According to the department's website, the committee doesn't start reviewing applications until mid-January, so am I correct in thinking that I will be fine?
I don't think it really makes a difference. I think most schools don't care as long as materials are in before they actually start reviewing. The one way it MIGHT affect you is if they're making their last offer and they're deciding between you and another candidate. If they submitted all their stuff on time and you didn't, that might hurt you. However, this scenario seems really unlikely to me. Some schools say something along the lines of "your application will not be reviewed until we have all supporting materials." To me that says "if your stuff is in before we start looking at applications, then we don't care."

So yes, you'll probably be fine, but getting stuff in before the most deadlines is probably a good idea. Some schools start reviewing within a week or two of the deadline. UT seems to be weird in that their deadline is a month before they start reviewing (in a side note, their deadline was something like December 19th last year; they bumped it up by a couple weeks this year).

matonski

Re: Application Materials - Feedback from Schools

Post by matonski » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:25 am

I too am starting to worry because I had my transcripts sent awhile ago and most schools say that they haven't received them yet.

Zburatorul

Post by Zburatorul » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:01 am

Do any of your schools display receipt of any part of the materials (except the online application itself) on their websites?

Does ETS tell us when they've sent out the scores?

geshi

Post by geshi » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:37 am

Zburatorul wrote:Do any of your schools display receipt of any part of the materials (except the online application itself) on their websites?

First question: I don't think so? I've never seen it anywhere for any schools.

Second question: If you submit the score report request online, then they will send a confirmation email. Other than that, I don't think so.

CKtalon

Post by CKtalon » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:18 am

1. UCSB and UIUC have some form of feedback system although it isn't very promptly updated..
2. Login to your ETS account online. The date there should be the date it was sent out..

mobytish

Post by mobytish » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:30 pm

Zburatorul wrote:Do any of your schools display receipt of any part of the materials (except the online application itself) on their websites?
Rochester e-mails you any time a reference submits a letter of recommendation (provided they submit it via the online system). Kent keeps an updated online list of all required application materials and the dates they are received. I also get biweekly e-mails from them reminding me of the application materials I still need to submit.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:04 am

Schools are receiving hundreds of applications, and everyone is on Christmas break right now. No one will be back in the office until at least after New Years, then they have to sort through the hundreds of applications and get everyone's stuff filed together, and only THEN can they get around to updating the webpage. Be patient and don't worry about it. In a few weeks if you still don't see it posted, just call them up and ask.

highbounce

Post by highbounce » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Out of the 15 schools I applied to, only two schools so far have status that show my application is complete. All the other schools are either missing transcripts, or my GRE scores, or both, or have no status whatsoever. Only one school has got my official transcript mailed by my school. The earliest one was sent out three weeks ago. What is really frustrating is that some schools are still missing my GRE scores, such as Princeton's EE, while I sent my scores more than a month and half ago. :x :x :x :x :x Do other people have these many schools missing application materials? I think I will start calling the admission staff at the various schools right after the holidays.

I am starting to worry that this might have to do with I submitted my supporting materials before submitting my online applications for all of these schools. They might be having trouble putting my credentials together.

Oh by the way, for those who applied to Harvard and Cornell's applied physics, is there a way to check your application status online? I know for Cornell, you can check your letter of recommendation status online but nothing about transcript or GRE scores.

Kites

Post by Kites » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:43 pm

highbounce wrote:
I am starting to worry that this might have to do with I submitted my supporting materials before submitting my online applications for all of these schools. They might be having trouble putting my credentials together.
When you send in a piece of the materials before submitting an online application they create a folder associated for you, usually under a MISC category, when they process the piece. When they receive the online application they later fish your stuff out of the MISC folder and put it with your application. This is the way it's done at many schools, though I doubt all.

TrueBLUE

Post by TrueBLUE » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:28 am

Physics department at U Chicago send you an email confirming the receipt of your SMP (Supplementary Materials Package). For other universities in which I am applying to I haven't found such feedback system apart from the application status checks. May be mailing to the graduate assistant helps. I for one got confirmation from Kacey at Cornell that all my materials have been duly received. And at Berkeley they said they will mail you back after the holidays are over.
Hope this helps!! :?