WTF!!

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

blackcat007
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:14 am

WTF!!

Postby blackcat007 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:55 am

U of Washington seattle had this "suggested" deadline of 1st November.. I thought it was a bit flexible since "suggested" was mentioned.. now they say, that i could apply if the dept gave me permission..

my question is : is there any use applying here now.. my already bleak chances have gone bleaker :oops: ??
ofcourse, they might allow me to apply. but this late application might be handled with a bit of reluctance I guess.

what should I do.. apply somewhere else instead?

mike164
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:45 pm

Re: WTF!!

Postby mike164 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:01 pm

I have submitted my online application by Nov. 1. However, I have not send my transcripts yet. I called them and they said it should be fine and they would consider my application as long as I send in my application materials by the department deadline (January 15). They also mentioned that the early deadline is just to give more time to the graduate office to process your international transcript and other documents. I don't think your chances have gone bleaker. I would suggest you to apply.

blackcat007
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:14 am

Re: WTF!!

Postby blackcat007 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:18 am

mike164 wrote:I have submitted my online application by Nov. 1. However, I have not send my transcripts yet. I called them and they said it should be fine and they would consider my application as long as I send in my application materials by the department deadline (January 15). They also mentioned that the early deadline is just to give more time to the graduate office to process your international transcript and other documents. I don't think your chances have gone bleaker. I would suggest you to apply.


thanks for sharing.
yes even I mailed them, they replied the same.. they said "the deadline is just a soft one". :D

pqortic
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:24 am

Re: WTF!!

Postby pqortic » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:43 am

That's the most ridiculous policy which some universities have. they set the deadline soon to show that they are more organized than other schools. if you compare the universities deadlines they are spread from November to mid February and top schools (or the ones that want to show) set earlier deadlines.

in this way, they want to say "if you don't apply here you will miss us!". I think we(students) should ignore a university like this and don't apply there. cuz next year probably another school will set October first as the deadline.

betelgeuse1
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 10:14 am

Re: WTF!!

Postby betelgeuse1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:13 am

does anyone know if there are many universities having deadlines before 1 december?
i intend to send my applications only after i know the pgre score so this will probably be end november...(12$ are 12$ after all)
seattle? :? that's on the west coast? northwest?! :shock: far too far away from my home in europe... no thanks... i'll apply to something on the east coast ... friendly, not too far and not too cold... those continents and their drifting...

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: WTF!!

Postby grae313 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:48 am

betelgeuse1 wrote:does anyone know if there are many universities having deadlines before 1 december?
i intend to send my applications only after i know the pgre score so this will probably be end november...(12$ are 12$ after all)
seattle? :? that's on the west coast? northwest?! :shock: far too far away from my home in europe... no thanks... i'll apply to something on the east coast ... friendly, not too far and not too cold... those continents and their drifting...


lol... east coast is much colder than west coast, unless you are southeast. It never snows on the west coast, while new england winters are legendary. West coast is friendly, too. You're thousands of miles away from home wither way... but whatever. Most common deadlines are Dec 15th and Jan 15th, but are often sooner for international students. I guess they want more time to process these apps and collect all the various materials that are being mailed from so far away.

betelgeuse1
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 10:14 am

Re: WTF!!

Postby betelgeuse1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:22 pm

not that i want to transform this discussion into one about weather but i spent a winter in upstate new york and it was the coldest i,ve ever seen... at 5 deg C the people were running around in summer clothes... :shock:
beautiful place but spring starts in may and ends in september...with no real summer in between and during the winter the heating can and will fail... :mrgreen: so i said i'll never go more north than cornell.
About the applications, as far as i know, many of the univ. accept applications also after the deadline if there is a good reason, like RL arriving late or late scores etc. my experience with the us universities so far is quite pleasant, they are quite "human" and understand that some problems can appear. also they have a deadline for giving the answer for your application and usually the answer arrives in the given time. I just try to give some info to the europeans like me because i guess we know how some univ. in europe behave with their candidates and how they respect what they say... :|

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: WTF!!

Postby grae313 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:39 pm

betelgeuse1 wrote:not that i want to transform this discussion into one about weather but i spent a winter in upstate new york and it was the coldest i,ve ever seen... at 5 deg C the people were running around in summer clothes... :shock:
beautiful place but spring starts in may and ends in september...with no real summer in between and during the winter the heating can and will fail... :mrgreen: so i said i'll never go more north than cornell.
About the applications, as far as i know, many of the univ. accept applications also after the deadline if there is a good reason, like RL arriving late or late scores etc. my experience with the us universities so far is quite pleasant, they are quite "human" and understand that some problems can appear. also they have a deadline for giving the answer for your application and usually the answer arrives in the given time. I just try to give some info to the europeans like me because i guess we know how some univ. in europe behave with their candidates and how they respect what they say... :|


Seattle rarely sees snow.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: WTF!!

Postby grae313 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:41 pm

betelgeuse1 wrote:About the applications, as far as i know, many of the univ. accept applications also after the deadline if there is a good reason, like RL arriving late or late scores etc.
Sure, but "I wanted to see what I got on my PGRE first" is not a RL emergency.

betelgeuse1
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 10:14 am

Re: WTF!!

Postby betelgeuse1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:01 pm

grae313 wrote:
betelgeuse1 wrote:About the applications, as far as i know, many of the univ. accept applications also after the deadline if there is a good reason, like RL arriving late or late scores etc.
Sure, but "I wanted to see what I got on my PGRE first" is not a RL emergency.

of course! I was just making a distinction between my option [to apply only after nov 20] and a general fact. Both are true.
I don't know how much snow there is in seattle but if you are in the northern hemisphere and you go north you'll find out that it gets colder... of course there are exceptions...

betelgeuse1
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 10:14 am

Re: WTF!!

Postby betelgeuse1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:05 pm

grae: that eye is intimidating me :D :oops:

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: WTF!!

Postby grae313 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:22 pm

betelgeuse1 wrote: if you are in the northern hemisphere and you go north you'll find out that it gets colder...


I'll give you that one :wink: However, latitude is far from the whole story. New York City and Northern California are about the same latitude, but NYC is extremely hot, wet and humid in the summer and has very cold, snowy winters even though it's on the coast. Coastal Northern California is *never* humid, and has warm and dry summers and rainy winters. Anything below 10 degrees Celsius is a very cold day to a northern Californian! Seattle is just a lot rainier/cloudier and a bit colder, but it's very rare for it to snow in Seattle :)

Not to harp on weather, but if you are saying you want the East coast because of weather, I gotta say something!

Compare two coastal cities at the same latitude,
Lewes, Delaware
San Francisco, CA
and note the differences in temperature between summer and winter, most noticeably, that in CA on the coast there barely is any difference.

Image
Image


I use my eye avatar to hypnotize people online into doing my bidding...

User avatar
noojens
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: WTF!!

Postby noojens » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:23 pm

must... procure... bacon...




Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest