NDSEG for theory?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

mirage

NDSEG for theory?

Post by mirage » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:15 pm

I'm trying to figure out whether there's a point in applying for the DoD NDSEG fellowship for theory research. I can't figure out how close to military research interests an applicant's research should be for the application to be competitive. Do they normally only look for applied physics topics / very tech-oriented theory?
I tried looking for abstracts of awards from previous years but couldn't find any.

zxcv

Re: NDSEG for theory?

Post by zxcv » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:15 am

I've heard that people do win the NDSEG for theory, even high energy theory. But honestly, I don't know.

Looking at the lists of past winners, it looks like almost everyone in physics is funded by either the ARO or the AFOSR (that is, the army or the air force). So I'm going to use their pages listing research priorities in physics as place to get started (see AFOSR and ARO)