M.Eng Engineering Physics at Cornell

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Maxwells_Demon

M.Eng Engineering Physics at Cornell

Post by Maxwells_Demon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi friends,

Does anyone know anything about the Masters of Engineering Physics program? It's a 1 year M.Eng program:

http://www.aep.cornell.edu/eng10_page.cfm?webpageID=31

I wonder if it's a good transition for graduate schools? Would anyone know? I read on a forum somewhere (I think college confidential) that the M.Eng isn't a good transition for Ph.D.... But I don't know [yet]. I might call up Cornell and ask about some statistics (I got accepted to it).

-Maxwell's Demon

flaxcapacitor

Re: M.Eng Engineering Physics at Cornell

Post by flaxcapacitor » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:19 am

it can be done. i have friends who have made it to decent phd programs after going through the M. Eng. Do talk to the director of the program and check the stats.

disadvantages-
1) money. it costs ~30-40k. no funding.
2) work/time: you take 2-3 grad classes+work on thesis+reapply...and you have to be stellar at everything. you have 1 semester to prove yourself.

advantages-
1) if you can demonstrate good grades, you have a shot at better schools
2) you don't really waste time, since you're getting classes out of the way.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:25 am

Maxwells_Demon wrote:Hi friends,

Does anyone know anything about the Masters of Engineering Physics program? It's a 1 year M.Eng program:

http://www.aep.cornell.edu/eng10_page.cfm?webpageID=31

I wonder if it's a good transition for graduate schools? Would anyone know? I read on a forum somewhere (I think college confidential) that the M.Eng isn't a good transition for Ph.D.... But I don't know [yet]. I might call up Cornell and ask about some statistics (I got accepted to it).

-Maxwell's Demon
Do a little searching on the forum, Noojens is in this program and has talked about it. Look at the Cornell thread in the building gradschool profiles subforum.

noojens

Post by noojens » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:50 pm

That I am! Flax summed it up nicely, though.

It's sort of puzzling to me that you (Maxwells_Demon) haven't had more success in your application process so far - your profile looks quite strong. I hope you get into one of the PhD programs you're still waiting to hear from - then it'll be a moot point. :)

I'd say wait to hear from your other schools, and in the mean time send a few inquiries to the program director and a professor or two whose research interests you (they can be in Physics, Applied Physics or any engineering field). If you'd like some anecdotal information from a current M.Eng. student, feel free to PM me.

Best of luck :)