Theoretical Astrophysics/Cosmology ranking.

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

bosem

Theoretical Astrophysics/Cosmology ranking.

Post by bosem » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:02 am

Although, there is a thread about the ranking of the Astronomy. I believe theoretical astrophysics, especially cosmology, falls more into the physics category than the astronomy. Does anyone have any idea about how different US schools theoretical astrophysics programs fairs against each other? If you rank them please also write what is the basis of your ranking.

dustdevil

Re: Theoretical Astrophysics/Cosmology ranking.

Post by dustdevil » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:12 am

That's like saying experimental physics doesn't fall in the realm of physics.

bosem

Post by bosem » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:20 am

dustdevil wrote:That's like saying experimental physics doesn't fall in the realm of physics.
No... Experimental physics is physics. It's an experimental science, after all. But often there are schools that are good in observational astronomy but don't do much theoretical astrophysics. Moreover, theoretical cosmological researches are done more by physicists than astronomers.

fastones3

Post by fastones3 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:02 am

What kind of theoretical astrophysics/cosmology are you interested in? The HEP/Inflation/Early universe kind, or the astro/later universe kind of Cosmology?

bosem

Post by bosem » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:11 am

fastones3 wrote:What kind of theoretical astrophysics/cosmology are you interested in? The HEP/Inflation/Early universe kind, or the astro/later universe kind of Cosmology?
The HEP/Inflation/Early universe kind... and astroparticle (dark matter)

fastones3

Post by fastones3 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:42 am

The HEP/Inflation/Early universe kind... and astroparticle (dark matter)
Probably anywhere that does good HEP would be a safe bet. Almost all HE physicists are thinking about cosmology one way or another. With that said, then I'm not sure how to rank HEP programs besides the obvious prestige factor.

bosem

Post by bosem » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:55 am

So, I have been looking through some of the schools. Here are the ranking among the schools I know. This is just a comparison with respect to theoretical work on Dark matter/dark energy/early universe/inflation. In my list I put in only the schools that I know of. Perhaps there are many other schools in between these schools.

Caltech > UChicago > Harvard > Princeton > UC Santa Cruz > UC Berkeley > Columbia