UIUC specialty form

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

slugger

UIUC specialty form

Postby slugger » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:28 am

Does anyone know if UIUC will look at your app if you didn't fill out the stupid sub-field preference form on their online portal? To be honest I didn't even know the portal existed until about 4 minutes ago. I was awaiting a rejection anyway, so I guess it dosn't matter, I just want them to look so I feel I got my money's worth.

swepi

Re: UIUC specialty form

Postby swepi » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:23 am

I don't think you are the only one that has run into this problem. I found out about the portal (https://my.physics.uiuc.edu/gradstat/login.asp) after I let pop-ups display through my web browser when I was filling out my UIUC app. I got lucky. However, the form is essentially a ranking of your preference for working in different groups in the department. To me it does not seem to be all that essential. That is, nothing I didn't already say in my SOP, although the site does provide some information about the status of your application.

a13ean

Re: UIUC specialty form

Postby a13ean » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:24 pm

Thanks for letting me know, I just filled it out. However, I doubt they care too much about it when so many people seem to be missing it and the information is pretty clear from the SOP.

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”