Astro admission news 2009

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

astrofan
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:55 am

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby astrofan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:18 am

Maybe I missed it on an earlier page, but has anyone heard from UIUC for astronomy?

evilclaw2321
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby evilclaw2321 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:13 pm

congrats to the u of virginia astronomy admissions from over the weekend

User avatar
dustdevil
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:36 pm

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby dustdevil » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:57 pm

Accepted to UMass Amherst by phone this morning! :D

... And rejected from Arizona by email just now. :cry:

astrophysicist2b
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:14 pm

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby astrophysicist2b » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:04 pm

acceptance packet by postal service from arizona. nothing by email/phone yet.

valkyrie
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby valkyrie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:14 pm

Congrats everyone!! :D


astrophysicist2b wrote:acceptance packet by postal service from arizona. nothing by email/phone yet.


I got a phone call from them last week (yay!) and he said they'd also send an email with the details, which hasn't happened yet. I guess I should check my mailbox.

I know a few people have heard from Berkeley (I'm jealous :) ) but has anyone heard from CalTech? I really need to buy plane tickets for Santa Cruz at some point but am sort of waiting until I know if I'm visiting other places in California...

Alistar
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby Alistar » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:21 pm

valkyrie wrote:Congrats everyone!! :D


astrophysicist2b wrote:acceptance packet by postal service from arizona. nothing by email/phone yet.


I got a phone call from them last week (yay!) and he said they'd also send an email with the details, which hasn't happened yet. I guess I should check my mailbox.

I know a few people have heard from Berkeley (I'm jealous :) ) but has anyone heard from CalTech? I really need to buy plane tickets for Santa Cruz at some point but am sort of waiting until I know if I'm visiting other places in California...


I talked to CalTech admission committee people last week and I believe they called all people they had in their short-list(9 persons). I have been informed later on Friday that I am in the waiting list.

User avatar
Helio
Posts: 809
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:11 pm

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby Helio » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:22 pm

congrats to everyone

valkyrie
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby valkyrie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:26 pm

Alistar wrote:
I talked to CalTech admission committee people last week and I believe they called all people they had in their short-list(9 persons). I have been informed later on Friday that I am in the waiting list.


I see. I guess I'll give it another week or so, and if I haven't heard I'll ask about my status/just buy tickets to Santa Cruz and be happy :)

nathan12343
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:34 am

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby nathan12343 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:44 pm

Just got a rejection e-mail from Berkeley :(

astrofan
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:55 am

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby astrofan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:26 am

Accepted at Boston University and Brown University with TA by e-mail.

Keeping my fingers crossed about Amherst.

IDL
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby IDL » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:45 pm

I could check the status on the web that I'm admitted to Wisconsin, Madison.

franziaboy
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:47 pm

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby franziaboy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:34 pm

email acceptance to boston university

IDL
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby IDL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:30 pm

Has anyone heard from UCLA yet?

User avatar
dustdevil
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:36 pm

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby dustdevil » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:06 pm

Rejected from Ohio State, after they called me and told me I had a strong application! Seriously people...? :? :?

gogrean
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 am

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby gogrean » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:57 am

IDL wrote:Has anyone heard from UCLA yet?


No, the Astronomy department didn't send any offer/rejection yet. :(

User avatar
dustdevil
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:36 pm

Re: Astro admission news 2009

Postby dustdevil » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:43 pm

Just heard back from UCSC! Rejected :( . Oh wells, their loss.




Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests