Economic slowdown and applications

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

unstudmaddu

Economic slowdown and applications

Post by unstudmaddu » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:27 pm

How do you think the economis mess affect us physics applicants this year. I can think of a few effects:
  1. 1. An increase in the number of applicants who would have otherwise taken a job. I think this one has slightly less of an effect on physics admissions than on other subjects like engineering.
  1. 2. Reduction in university endowments. I don't know how this will affect the number of graduate students being accepted. They will surely decrease but by how much?

butsurigakusha

Re: Economic slowdown and applications

Post by butsurigakusha » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:03 pm

Also, public schools will be facing major budgetary issues, at least they are here in California, and I imagine it is the same everywhere. The state of California is a budget nightmare right now. I haven't heard anyone say that there will be a reduction in the number of grad students accepted, but with budget cuts and so much uncertainty, I think there will be a lot of pressure to reduce the number of grad students they accept. But I think departments realize that grad students are important enough to the strength of the department, the number shouldn't decrease too drastically.

Still, if I were applying this time around, I would definitely apply to more safety schools, as I think competition this time around will be pretty tight.

evilclaw2321

Post by evilclaw2321 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:51 pm

I know the university of minnesota is in trouble. The states budget has a huge shortfall, our Governor just took away almost 100million that was supposed to go the the University of minnesota.

I think that the economy will have an affect since funding for graduate students will probably be less abundant making things even more competitive.

Andromeda

Post by Andromeda » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:06 pm

Was thinking about that exact comic, glad someone beat me to it. :)

Basically it will be harder for everyone, as in times of economic downturn everything gets harder. I'd rather be trying to get into school than trying to get a job though.

sirius

Post by sirius » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:57 pm

sadly, this was basically on the news yesterday in california. (without the reference to grad students)