Ph.D. in Physics at National University of Singapore (NUS)?

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

FNR
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:48 pm

Ph.D. in Physics at National University of Singapore (NUS)?

Postby FNR » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:14 pm

Recently, I have been interviewed for Ph.D. position in Physics at National University of Singapore (NUS). About a couple of days ago, I just received e-mail stating congratulations from my prospective research supervisor at NUS that "my interview went well, and I am passing another stone". :shock: :D

He also stated that my application to join the graduate program is supported by Physics Department and is sending to the Faculty of Science (FOS) for final approval. They will send me a formal offer letter once it is approved by FOS. Meanwhile, he suggested me to prepare myself. :o

Seriously, I am very glad to hear this outcome and so looking forward to receiving the formal offer letter once it is approved by FOS. I believe it is truly an honor and a privilege to be given this opportunity. :D

However, I do not really know about the academic calendar of NUS. When will exactly the formal letter or e-mail be sent from NUS? This year, or next year? My friend told me that I might not hear from NUS until next January. Is it true? He also joked that I could consider NUS as "the MIT/Ivy League of South East Asia" :o ... is it also true?

I have not really made up my mind, though. I also applied to several other grad schools in the United States. :? In short, I would seriously consider going to the grad school who provides me with adequate financial support and interesting research opportunity.

Could any of you share one's opinion regarding the NUS Physics grad school? What should I do to better prepare myself, if I were to accept this admissions offer? What kind of Qualifying Exam I would get at NUS Physics? How is life for international Physics grad student at NUS and in Singapore, in general? Why should I not accept the Admissions Offer for Ph.D. position at National University of Singapore? Any advice from NUS Physics student/alumni or Singaporean here?

boomsdaydevice
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Ph.D. in Physics at National University of Singapore (NUS)?

Postby boomsdaydevice » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:44 pm

FNR wrote:I just received e-mail stating congratulations from my prospective research supervisor at NUS that "my interview went well, and I am passing another stone".


Renal health is no laughing matter

rockwhj
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:38 am

Re: Ph.D. in Physics at National University of Singapore (NUS)?

Postby rockwhj » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:43 am

I had my high school in Singapore before I came to the states for college. A lot of my friends are studying in NUS. I think the term starts in August, not sure about the admission procedure though. Yes, NUS is a very good university, among the top in Asia I would say. But Singapore as a city, or country, is kind of boring. Congratulation by the way.

User avatar
secander2!
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Re: Ph.D. in Physics at National University of Singapore (NUS)?

Postby secander2! » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:06 am

According to US News, NUS is ranked 31st in natural sciences. According to this, it seems to correspond to places like Michigan, Texas, and UIUC. So yea, it seems to be a pretty good school at least according to US News! Congrats!!!

User avatar
muonman
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:19 pm

Re: Ph.D. in Physics at National University of Singapore (NUS)?

Postby muonman » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:09 pm

boomsdaydevice wrote:
FNR wrote:I just received e-mail stating congratulations from my prospective research supervisor at NUS that "my interview went well, and I am passing another stone".


Renal health is no laughing matter


LOL Lol LOL!!!!!!!! :D

stardust
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:15 pm

Re: Ph.D. in Physics at National University of Singapore (NUS)?

Postby stardust » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:37 am

Did he really say that 'passing another stone'? Did he mean that to be funny or
was it the way he just uses English? That is hilarious. You would be in for a fun
ride with that advisor, especially if he didn't know he was funny.

FNR
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Ph.D. in Physics at National University of Singapore (NUS)?

Postby FNR » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:19 am

stardust wrote:Did he really say that 'passing another stone'?


That 'passing another stone' is 100% for real. Lol!! :D


stardust wrote:That is hilarious. You would be in for a fun ride with that advisor, especially if he didn't know he was funny.


Hopefully, this would be a beginning of such joyful ride in my grad school. Maybe Jorge Cham could put it in his newest Piled Higher and Deeper comic strip? :wink:

By, the way, what do you think about the physics grad school at National University of Singapore, or the country itself in general?

stardust
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:15 pm

Re: Ph.D. in Physics at National University of Singapore (NUS)?

Postby stardust » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:37 am

What do I think about it? Well, I hadn't thought about it. To me, an average American,
say its not a big name school for physics, but so what. I mean, if the advisor is good and
its what you want to do. Once I looked up some university in China and the profs.
in physics all had their phds from the US. So, you might want to look up the whole physics
department to get an idea. Would they be lacking in any facilities that you may need for your
work? Would they have the equipment or computers? But, its a risk. What happens if you
decide that you didn't like the advisor. I suppose you can leave after a master's. So, I guess
since I haven't heard of it, I don't really know enough to have an opinion. Maybe you should
ask your physics professors at school what they think. You may also want to check out this
Times (UK publication) on world rankings. For all I know maybe its the equivalent of some of
the top schools.

FNR
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: Ph.D. in Physics at National University of Singapore (NUS)?

Postby FNR » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:15 am

Dear everyone,

as I am about to decide in the next month or two, I want to review some literature to better prepare myself before studying at Grad Schools. Could you recommend me some material that I should read before studying there?

My research supervisor suggested that I learn more about modern spectroscopy facilities, including synchrotron (worldwide), x-ray absorption, x-ray magnetic circular dichroism, optical ellipsometry, x-ray photoemission spectroscopy, ultra-violet photoemission spectroscopy, resonant soft x-ray scattering, pulsed laser deposition, molecular beam epitaxy, and various spectroscopy techniques. :roll:

You could recommend the Introductory references for Undergraduate level, or more advanced material for Graduate level. I'm going to check them both. Also, there might be some MIT open course that might be useful to read for this whole Nanotechnology concept. Could you all recommend me which MIT course I should read? Which ones?


cheers!!
FNR :P

bosem
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:07 am

Re: Ph.D. in Physics at National University of Singapore (NUS)?

Postby bosem » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:21 am

FNR wrote:Dear everyone,

as I am about to decide in the next month or two, I want to review some literature to better prepare myself before studying at Grad Schools. Could you recommend me some material that I should read before studying there?

My research supervisor suggested that I learn more about modern spectroscopy facilities, including synchrotron (worldwide), x-ray absorption, x-ray magnetic circular dichroism, optical ellipsometry, x-ray photoemission spectroscopy, ultra-violet photoemission spectroscopy, resonant soft x-ray scattering, pulsed laser deposition, molecular beam epitaxy, and various spectroscopy techniques. :roll:

You could recommend the Introductory references for Undergraduate level, or more advanced material for Graduate level. I'm going to check them both. Also, there might be some MIT open course that might be useful to read for this whole Nanotechnology concept. Could you all recommend me which MIT course I should read? Which ones?


cheers!!
FNR :P

OMG.. tell your prospective advisor to chill out and let you enjoy the summer. Come on man.. you should not have to be studying for schools when you are not even there.




Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest