send pgre to schools when its recommended

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

pqortic

send pgre to schools when its recommended

Post by pqortic » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:30 pm

I am going to send my scores to some middle rank schools that pgre is not required. Some schools said that: “We would like you to take and send in your scores on the GRE Physics exam, but this is not required, however such scores can greatly increase your odds of acceptance” or “it’s not required but strongly recommended”
Do you suggest I send my 52%-680 score to such schools or keep it hidden in my application? I don’t know it will increase my chance or will ruin my application since I'm applying for experimental CMP.

naseermk

Re: send pgre to schools when its recommended

Post by naseermk » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:40 pm

If you're applying to middle rank schools, my opinion is that the score you have is going to be of help. Considering the fact that the school does not require PGRE scores, your score would be of help especially if you're a domestic and not an international student.

tmc

Post by tmc » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:42 pm

What are you calling middle rank? Care to give a few names?

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:38 pm

@naseermk
I'm Int.
@tmc
LSU, Tulane, Texas-Dallas,

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:56 am

I'm pretty certain that reporting a 680 PGRE will probably help you at schools like that! I would guess that 680 is as good or better than their averages, and so if you don't report, they'd assume the worst.

swepi

Post by swepi » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:06 am

I would imagine getting a score above the 50% (doing better than the majority) would help you.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:35 am

good ideas
I'll probably check the average pgre in schools with graduate recruiters before submit my score. but I'm mainly worried about my GPA to be affected by this score.