Can Postdocs give reccommendations?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

rohit

Can Postdocs give reccommendations?

Postby rohit » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:13 am

Can postdocs give reccos? I did a project with a post doc, but wont a Prof's recco count for more? Or will they expect one from my postdoc guide? I will be getting one from a Prof i am currently doing research with.

admissionprof

Re: Can Postdocs give reccommendations?

Postby admissionprof » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:39 am

Absolutely. Often letters from postdocs are much more valuable. When I was a postdoc, I effectively supervised a graduate student, and my letter for his/her postdoc application was his/her most important (although once we were both applying for the same job, so it was a bit awkward). But for graduate school. I see no problem, as long as you have other letters from faculty.

rohit

Postby rohit » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:45 am

admissionprof wrote:Absolutely. Often letters from postdocs are much more valuable. When I was a postdoc, I effectively supervised a graduate student, and my letter for his/her postdoc application was his/her most important (although once we were both applying for the same job, so it was a bit awkward). But for graduate school. I see no problem, as long as you have other letters from faculty.

Ok, thanks :) . And if i dont have one from him (he's in a different town and all that ) will it be looked down upon? As i said i will be having one from a prof i am doing research with.

admissionprof

Postby admissionprof » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:48 am

rohit wrote:
admissionprof wrote:Absolutely. Often letters from postdocs are much more valuable. When I was a postdoc, I effectively supervised a graduate student, and my letter for his/her postdoc application was his/her most important (although once we were both applying for the same job, so it was a bit awkward). But for graduate school. I see no problem, as long as you have other letters from faculty.

Ok, thanks :) . And if i dont have one from him (he's in a different town and all that ) will it be looked down upon? As i said i will be having one from a prof i am doing research with.

It probably won't be looked down on, but I'd get one anyway. It certainly won't hurt.

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”