What exactly is meant by "major GPA"

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

gliese876d

What exactly is meant by "major GPA"

Post by gliese876d » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:58 pm

My current school does not list a separate cumulative GPA for your major vs. all your classes, so I'm not sure how to interpret when applications as for your major GPA. I assume this includes all required courses for your major department to earn your degree, which are generally physics or astronomy courses, but does that also include math courses, chemistry courses, or geology courses required for my physics and astronomy degree? Also what about non-required courses that are in the physics or astronomy department, such as electives, independent studies, or upper-level courses such as QM that aren't required for my degree?

tmc

Re: What exactly is meant by "major GPA"

Post by tmc » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:18 pm

I take it as all physics/math courses which are required for my degree, but I don't really know.

gliese876d

Post by gliese876d » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:22 pm

Yeah, it's confusing; I just wondered if there was a standard definition. Because I've taken a several elective physics and astronomy courses and it seems weird not to include those but to include general chemistry just because the former was not required for the degree but the latter is...

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:46 pm

Yea, I agree! It's super weird and confusing. I just calculated the GPA for my physics courses exclusively, because I didn't feel like having to deal with the complex interrelation between the core curriculum and the classes required for the physics and math majors at my school.

trani

Post by trani » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:54 pm

Did you count grades from grad physics classes?

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:21 pm

I didn't have the option :D ... but if I had taken grad classes, I would probably count the grades (unless it hurt me too much).