Discussion of 2009 Profiles

  • This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Imperate
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:01 am

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby Imperate » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:06 pm

emperial wrote:
excel wrote:babazula, do you have a sense of why you got rejected from all the US grad programs?

I dunno he mentioned it in his Applications but the reason may lie in the fact that he is self-funded.


I thought that would have been a bonus point?

I reckon it is possibly more to do with him being British than anything else, and US admin profs perhaps not understanding the British undergraduate system (although they obviously would know what part III is, so I don't know how they would get confused into thinking he only did three years undergrad). Absolutley no idea to be honest, seems really strange.

Mataka
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby Mataka » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:29 pm

Simple, GRE physics of only 900 , that's definitely too low for theory. On the other hand he published a few papers so that should have compensate ...

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby grae313 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Mataka wrote:Simple, GRE physics of only 900 , that's definitely too low for theory. On the other hand he published a few papers so that should have compensate ...


total BULLSHIT right there.

pqortic
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:24 am

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby pqortic » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:08 pm

grae313 wrote:
emperial wrote:I dunno he mentioned it in his Applications but the reason may lie in the fact that he is self-funded.

Wouldn't that be a huge bonus?

first I thought its a bonus, but as you know top schools don't have money problem to hire self funded students. instead they intend to accept students who get paid and obey and do what the department and supervisor require them.
but as there exist some good papers and self-support, it means that he will do what he wants.

meno
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:13 am

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby meno » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:43 pm

excel wrote:babazula, do you have a sense of why you got rejected from all the US grad programs? So surprising with your profile. Could it have been that the U.S. programs interpreted your degree as a 3-year undergraduate degree and rejected your application on a technicality? (Almost all U.S. graduate schools do not accept 3-yr undergraduate degrees).


I wonder if this has something to do with it:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2258&p=21990#p21990

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby grae313 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:06 pm

DAMN Quakes, I'd have megalomania too with that profile! How did you not get accepted everywhere you applied? This admission season has just been ridiculously brutal, and it's just stupid dumb luck that it happened to be this year. Wow. If I had graduated this year instead of last I would seriously just be waiting and re-applying next year.

WakkaDojo
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:10 am

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby WakkaDojo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:18 pm

Seriously... after reading other people's profiles I wonder how I got into any schools since others who didn't have stronger credentials.

That just goes to show you how random the selection process is.

Mataka
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby Mataka » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Yeah Quakes there is fundammentally wrong with your application, you should have been admitted everywhere.

The fact that you have not been admitted everywhere doesn't prove that the universities are brutal, it means they saw something that we didn't see in your profile. Any clue ?

You're only flaw is being international, and it's not that big of a flaw ... is it possible that your profile is too perfect ? Can they suspect you to cheat ?

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby grae313 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:57 pm

Mataka wrote:Yeah Quakes there is fundammentally wrong with your application, you should have been admitted everywhere.

The fact that you have not been admitted everywhere doesn't prove that the universities are brutal, it means they saw something that we didn't see in your profile. Any clue ?

You're only flaw is being international, and it's not that big of a flaw ... is it possible that your profile is too perfect ? Can they suspect you to cheat ?


Mataka, you've been making a lot of claims lately as if they were fact. From reading every profile from last year and this year, it is undeniably harder this year, and Quakes is not the only stellar profile met with terrible luck. Maybe you're right, but for you to claim your opinon as fact is a little outrageous.

astrofan
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:55 am

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby astrofan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:22 pm

WakkaDojo wrote:Seriously... after reading other people's profiles I wonder how I got into any schools since others who didn't have stronger credentials.

That just goes to show you how random the selection process is.


Just pointing out, there is one HUGE part of the applications that we can't see: rec letters.

Mataka
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby Mataka » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:37 am

grae313 wrote:
Mataka wrote:Yeah Quakes there is fundammentally wrong with your application, you should have been admitted everywhere.

The fact that you have not been admitted everywhere doesn't prove that the universities are brutal, it means they saw something that we didn't see in your profile. Any clue ?

You're only flaw is being international, and it's not that big of a flaw ... is it possible that your profile is too perfect ? Can they suspect you to cheat ?


Mataka, you've been making a lot of claims lately as if they were fact. From reading every profile from last year and this year, it is undeniably harder this year, and Quakes is not the only stellar profile met with terrible luck. Maybe you're right, but for you to claim your opinon as fact is a little outrageous.




grae313, I read every 2008 and 2009 profiles, and yes Quakes is the only ''perfect'' profile which got rejected everywhere (there are good profiles that met with terrible luck as you say, but never as good as Quakes). This is why I think the selection comitte saw something we didn't, this seems to be rather obvious. I don't care if you want to deny this, but as far as I can tell it's seems to be the only explanation.

By the way I'm gettng the feeling you think the application process has a lot to do with luck, which is a little outrageous ;) (Come on, you must be a girl to care so much about the way I say things rather than what I say ... give me a break !)

ieyp
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:00 am

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby ieyp » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:55 am

It seems that publications are useless... three PRB still cannot bring me into graduate school. It clearly show that I devoted my time to do research then published a first-author paper in PRB but reduced the preparation time of the GRE exams is COMPLETELY WRONG.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby grae313 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:57 am

Mataka wrote:grae313, I read every 2008 and 2009 profiles, and yes Quakes is the only ''perfect'' profile which got rejected everywhere (there are good profiles that met with terrible luck as you say, but never as good as Quakes). This is why I think the selection comittee saw something we didn't, this seems to be rather obvious. I don't care if you want to deny this, but as far as I can tell it seems to be the only explanation.

By the way I'm gettng the feeling you think the application process has a lot to do with luck, which is a little outrageous ;) (Come on, you must be a girl to care so much about the way I say things rather than what I say ... give me a break !)


Ah, now you add statements like "as far as I can tell" and "it seems." This was exactly my point.

And no, I emphatically DO NOT think that it has "a lot" to do with luck. Few people would deny that there is a bit of luck involved, but if you read what a wrote more carefully, the only thing I said had to do with luck was whether you happen to graduate and then apply during a time of economic crisis or prosperity. And if you have read all the profiles like you say, then you know I'm a girl and that's all I'll say about that cheap shot. I'll give you a break for what you type as long as you're not telling people who come here for advice that no one with <900 on the PGRE can successfully apply to top schools as a theorist, and that international students with excellent profiles who don't get admits in dire funding situation either have a huge application flaw or are suspected of cheating.

Mataka
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby Mataka » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:48 pm

I'll give you a break for what you type as long as you're not telling people who come here for advice that no one with <900 on the PGRE can successfully apply to top schools as a theorist, and that international students with excellent profiles who don't get admits in dire funding situation either have a huge application flaw or are suspected of cheating.


Yep, exactly what I said, you're your reading skills are impressive !

Btw that's sarcastic, you extrapolate what I said way beyond what I meant.

cato88
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:46 am

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby cato88 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:50 pm

All she seems to be saying is that everyone is facing an awful admissions season which is true and what you would expect because the Fall 2009 class has the unique distinction of applying right before the Obama increase in funding ie. less spots and the increase in applications caused by the recession.

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby grae313 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:07 pm

Mataka wrote:
I'll give you a break for what you type as long as you're not telling people who come here for advice that no one with <900 on the PGRE can successfully apply to top schools as a theorist, and that international students with excellent profiles who don't get admits in dire funding situation either have a huge application flaw or are suspected of cheating.


Yep, exactly what I said, you're your reading skills are impressive !

Btw that's sarcastic, you extrapolate what I said way beyond what I meant.


Mataka wrote:Simple, GRE physics of only 900 , that's definitely too low for theory. On the other hand he published a few papers so that should have compensate ...


Mataka wrote:The fact that you have not been admitted everywhere doesn't prove that the universities are brutal, it means they saw something that we didn't see in your profile. Any clue ?

You're only flaw is being international, and it's not that big of a flaw ... is it possible that your profile is too perfect ? Can they suspect you to cheat ?


you said 900 is definitely too low for theory, and that Quakes' lack of admits means that either there is something else on his application that we can't see, or that maybe they suspect him of cheating. My rewording was, I guess, a bit harsh, but if it is indeed "way beyond" what you meant, then I don't think you expressed your thoughts very well.

Mataka
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby Mataka » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:34 pm

Well, form those statements you extracted :
no one with <900 on the PGRE can successfully apply to top schools as a theorist, and that international students with excellent profiles who don't get admits in dire funding situation either have a huge application flaw or are suspected of cheating.


Some people can sucessfully apply to top school in theory with a <900 on the PGRE, but we were trying to see what went wrong with his application and the only thing I could see was he PGRE, especially since he is not an american.

An internationnal student with a PERFECT profile who gets rejected EVERYWHERE is extremely weird, so this means that the profile is probably not perfect when we look at the entire profile (statement of purpose, recommendation letters ...), otherwise there is doesn't seem to be any explanation why he got rejected everywhere, and the ''awful admissions season'' is simply not a good enough explanation (that can only explain why a good student get rejected to most places, but not a perfect student who gets rejected everywhere !)

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Discussion of 2009 Profiles

Postby grae313 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:21 pm

K, I'm sick of this. To lighten the mood:

Image




Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests