My score is 1120...what to do now...???

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

harit222

My score is 1120...what to do now...???

Post by harit222 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:53 am

Hi,

I have prepared well for GRE but unfortunately i got only 1120 total in GRE which I gave in november 2008. My Sectional scores are 320 in verbal n 800 in maths. I feel verbal score is very very very low. In writting also I am expecting more then 4.5 or 5.0(waiting). My TOEFL score is 101.

I am from computer science back ground in India. I want to apply in top 20 universities of US for MS in computer science. My GPA is 3.26. Moreover I am having 2.5 years of experience in my core field.

Now I am really confused about what to do? Should I retake the test again? I am not confident in my verbal score in that case also. Is it worth taking the chance to reappear in exam in next month? Or do I stand a chance of getting admission in any reputed college?

Urgent help is required. Thanks in advance.

secander2!

Re: My score is 1120...what to do now...???

Post by secander2! » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:34 am

harit222 wrote:Urgent help is required.
Well fortunately, even though this is a forum for Prospective Physics Graduate Students, most of us know everything about computer science admissions procedures, and we have a magic solution which will allow you admittance into the program of your choice: just call Geico... one 10 minute call could save you 10 years or more on your graduate studies!!!

Seriously though, it might be a good idea to post this in a forum more suited to your query. Also, I would probably avoid retaking the GRE unless you're pretty sure you'll do better. Beyond that, I can't really help you, because I know nothing about Computer Science Graduate school. Best of luck!!!

xudis149

Post by xudis149 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:42 am

I am giving general gre on Monday...and i am really nervous about the verbal section.....

we often discuss about how good of a measure is PGRE, but it is way better an exam than general gre...

i still have no clue about how i will fare in the verbal part.... mugging up 3000 words is way beyond me... and i never understand how it helps to measure ones performance in graduate school... unless I am applying for phd in literature...

stardust

Post by stardust » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:04 pm

What I would if it were me is: I would send the scores I had. Confirm that the scores
got there. Then re-take the test (even after the admissions deadlines because it
may be a good month before they even look at applications, plus it will give you
some study time). IF you improve send the new scores and they will add it to your
application as any other updated material. IF you didn't, they won't see it, because they already have the first set.

tmc

Post by tmc » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:35 pm

sidharthsp wrote:I am giving general gre on Monday...and i am really nervous about the verbal section.....

we often discuss about how good of a measure is PGRE, but it is way better an exam than general gre...

i still have no clue about how i will fare in the verbal part.... mugging up 3000 words is way beyond me... and i never understand how it helps to measure ones performance in graduate school... unless I am applying for phd in literature...
The admission committee is also aware that your verbal score is a poor measure of how good of a physicist you will become, so don't worry too much about it. The only problem is if they feel your score is so low you wouldn't be able to properly communicate / read / write articles in english; if you have a high enough analytical writing score, they might look over a low verbal score.

G01

Post by G01 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:31 pm

I also can't offer advice for Computer science grad school, but I'll try to make you feel better with some humor:

Think about this. The General GRE is supposed to test both Mathematical Ability and your use of the English language.

If this is true why does ETS feel the need to have both Mathematics and English Subject Tests?!

Doesn't the existence of both of these subject tests beg the question:

What is the point of the General GRE??