About the test requirement of Physics@MIT

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Yuan WAN

About the test requirement of Physics@MIT

Post by Yuan WAN » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:47 pm

Hi,

I am planning to apply for the PhD program of physics department at MIT. However, I find that the department doesn't accept TOEFL scores any longer (according to the official webpage). Moreover, IELTS score is mandatory for international applicants.

So far as I know, the TOEFL (iBT) score was acceptable for application in the last year. I am very confused about this policy. Is there anyone who can tell me why? Can I use the iBT score as substitution?

PS:

I have asked the department this question by email. Unfortunately, there is no reply. :(

tonyhongxp

Re: About the test requirement of Physics@MIT

Post by tonyhongxp » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:20 am

where did you find it?
according to http://web.mit.edu/admissions/graduate/ ... g_req.html

Test of English as a Foreign Language

Students whose native language is not English must take the TOEFL. A minimum score of 577 (233 for computer-based; 90 for internet-based) is required for visa certification. Many departments have higher score requirements. To view requirements for a specific department, click here (PDF). The fee for the TOEFL is $150 US.

International students applying for graduate admission should take the TOEFL no later than December 31, 2008. To register, write directly to: TOEFL, Box 6154, Princeton, NJ 08541-6154, call 1-800-GO-TOEFL (1-800-46-86335), or consult http://www.toefl.org/. Students wishing to take the test after December 31, 2008 will not be considered for admission in 2009.

Yuan WAN

Post by Yuan WAN » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:54 am

http://web.mit.edu/physics/graduate/app ... pfaqs.html

On the FAQ page of MIT physics, it is stated:

What are the minimum GRE, IELTS and GPA scores for admitted applicants?

Because many variables are considered in the application review process, there are no minimum standards for test scores or grade point averages.
[TOEFL exam scores are no longer accepted]

and

Does the Department of Physics provide IELTS score waivers?

The IELTS exam is required of all applicants who were born in a country where English is not the primary language. Exceptions to this policy will be considered for candidates who received their undergraduate degree at a U.S. college or university. In these cases, candidates are asked to provide a letter from a faculty member attesting to their English proficiency.
[TOEFL exam scores are no longer accepted]

Yuan WAN

Post by Yuan WAN » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:56 am

https://www.applyweb.com/apply/mitg/physinst.html

Here is another one,

Tests required:
IELTS: Minimum score required: 6.5
IELTS waiver accepted: Yes
Department code: 76
GRE: general and subject test required
Department code: 0808

Ennio

Post by Ennio » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:07 am

Hi,

I asked that question directly to the program about two months ago,
and they told me that TOEFL is no longer accepted, no way.
You need to take the IELTS in order to be considered. Sounds
foolish, but that's their new policy.

Yuan WAN

Post by Yuan WAN » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:12 am

Thank you for your information, Ennio. I think I have to drop MIT physics from my list. What a pity. :(