Apply to a field that I have no experience in?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

rjones21

Apply to a field that I have no experience in?

Postby rjones21 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 am

I am interested in astrophysics/cosmology, but I attend a liberal arts college where no astrophysics/cosmology courses have been offered. The college is well reputed as an undergraduate institution, but not specifically in physics. I have taken all the physics classes that we offer and have done research year-round, but none of it was in astrophysics/cosmology.

Will my application be harmed if I apply for a field that I have no experience in? Should I just apply for a field which I have a stronger background in?

Nishikata

Re: Apply to a field that I have no experience in?

Postby Nishikata » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:22 pm

It depends on how well you demonstrate your interest. You see, anybody can say they are interested in anything. If you can provide concrete evidences of your interest, then it might be ok.

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”