Should I wait a year?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Should I wait a year to take the Subject test?

Yes
No votes
No
100%
Shoot me before my brain explodes!
No votes

Total votes: 2

agaliarept

Should I wait a year?

Post by agaliarept » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:25 am

I am signed up to take the General and Subject tests in December. I have a background in Aerospace with a year and a half experience and an average GPA at best. I have only gone through most of one practice subject test and am feeling concerned that I will not be up to my full potential by test time. My question is, should I take the test and possibly do really bad and have to reapply next year or wait a year when I know I will do better? My concern is that the first test will bar me from the school even if I do better the second time. Are multiple subject tests averaged? Any info in this area would be greatly appreciated.

-A

yosofun

Post by yosofun » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:47 am

http://grephysics.net ... has a solution to each and every released gre physics exam question.

if you are an aerospace engineer, then you are probably good at memorizing
formulae. after a bit of cramming formulae, then the gre physics is **your exam.** go for it. also, since much of the exam requires that you remember certain formulae, if you wait a year, you might forget all that you've memorized now. moreover, your schedule a year from now might be more hectic than it is now. since you're signed up now, you might as well take it..

as for averaging -- it really depends on which program you apply to. most don't average scores unless you take it over 5 times.