2019 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

toa003

Re: 2019 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

Postby toa003 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:10 am

Undergrad Institution: Top few in SE Asia. Not known for physics.
Major(s): Physics, Mathematics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.93/4
Overall GPA: 3.93/4
Length of Degree: 4
Position in Class: top
Type of Student: International Male

GRE Scores : revised
Q: 170
V: 158
W: 4
P: 980

TOEFL: (R: 30, L: 29, S: 23, W: 29 )

Research Experience: Quantum info/ condensed matter, qubit implementation on semicon, theoretical, no publication (1 year). Ultra-fast laser, computational, no publication (0.5 year).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Undergrad scholarship, Dean's lists and top awards, but all from my school.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA, computer lab assistant (total about 1.5 year)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: clear double major requirements very fast.

Special Bonus Points: None

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Harvard - Applied Physics - CME (Feb. 23: Rejected via website/email)
Stanford - Applied Physics - CME (Jan. 31: Rejected via website/email)
Caltech - Applied Physics - CME (Mar. 9: Rejected via website/email)
UC Santa Barbara - Physics - CMT (Feb. 27: Rejected via website/email)
Princeton - Physics - CMT (Feb. 13: Rejected via website/email)
Cornell - Physics - CMT (Mar. 2: Rejected via website/email)
UC Berkeley - Physics - CMT (Feb.16: Rejected via website/email)
UC Los Angeles - Physics - CMT. I will not update anymore but probably going to be rejected.
university of illinois urbana champaign - Physics - CMT. I will not update anymore but probably going to be rejected.

Post-application reflection and extra info (very long):

I certainly overestimated my qualifications, but no harm trying, right? Here are a few more details that are hopefully useful for future applicants.

Recommendation letters. All strong letters, probably the strongest one from a young physics prof who seems to be a rising star in the field. The other 2 recommenders are not known in physics. My recommendation letters might be one of the decisive factors to failure? Nobody will ever know anyway.

GRE and TOEFL. Certainly can be better; but it sure is costly. Having spent so much on applications, and being a penniless fresh graduate, this can be really crippling. So much inertia to retake these exams. Suggestion: I know a few people who stick around as project officers/ research assistants. This is probably the best choice: you can earn some money first (pay your loan etc) and get some RELEVANT publications (more on this later, I advocate committing yourself to a research topic and group). One of them got into Cornell (but not most other schools) with about 5 publications within 3 years working.

Research experience
My first research in an applied physics lab was utterly disappointing. The prof assigned me to a graduating PhD student who probably could not be bothered. He made me read textbook for the summer, and soon he graduated without leaving me so much as an inch of laboratory experience. Completely disillusioned, I left the lab. Afterwards, I was hopping about from one research to another. I was looking for a "good research group" and prepared myself with lots of computer programming. Do I find a "good" research group? On the hindsight it depends on myself; I must be too idealistic. So, I will say I did not. Why computer programming? Being rather disappointed in doing physics, I was simply preparing for future employment bearing in mind there is not much future for me in physics along the direction I envision. Doing computer programming, is that a good choice? Yes and no. No, because, I could have instead stuck to a physics research and commit my full attention to it, but this is hypothesis contrary to fact- pretty much meaningless. Yes, because at the very least I get the compromise choice I prepared for... well... Anyway, I learnt machine learning stuffs, contributed quite significantly to the company I did internship in (employed there later, before moving to my current job) and included them in my application; this point does not seem to help much in application.

On the hind-sight, I think it is important to join a research group early, stay committed to it and be highly adaptable. **Biased personal opinion ahead, stop reading if you are easily offended**: If things start to get rough and you start to think you do not like that research topic, then reflect on yourself, reflect on what you did wrong and stay there a little longer (in my case, I should then realise I was such a trash and I should do better). This is especially the case if the research group is at least somewhat renowned; you might not want to miss the chance to work there again just because of immaturity at the moment. This should apply in most cases other than research.

Application
The way I applied to these schools is quite simple. For each school, I checked the faculty list and indicated interests in faculties that are most reputable. My statement of purpose was mostly general, emphasized my versatility (I do not have a specialization) and appealed to myself being a somewhat minority w.r.t. US demographic (not sure about this). As you can see, my application is disastrous. The graduate admission may just think I am some undecided brat trying my luck and I cannot fully deny that.

That concludes my attempt at getting into a well-known Physics graduate school. It was expensive. Physics GRE only lasts for 2 years (unfortunately this is the second year for me) and too much of a hassle to relearn and retake. It is quite clear that the admission process is not fully merit-based anyway, plus with dying passion, given 3 more chances to apply I am more than 98% sure it will just fail again. At least 4 years of undergrad physics was fun while it lasted. Regrets? No regrets, if i have time to regret I should spend time planning for the next step and scheming to get the next better opportunity. I guess that's good bye physics.
Last edited by toa003 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

striker6g

QQ

Postby striker6g » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:33 pm

Undergrad Institution: State school, no reputation for anything.
Major(s): Physics
Minor(s): Math
GPA in Major: 4.0
Overall GPA: 4.0
Length of Degree: 3 years
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: Domestic white male

GRE Scores : Taken September 2018
Q: 168 (94%)
V: 161 (88%)
W: 5.5 (98%) Guess I should've majored in English.
P: 910 (85%)

TOEFL: N/A

Research Experience: 1 summer taking measurements on SQUIDS, a couple semesters working on simulating light in fiber optic cables in a variety of situations, did a semester of independent study in QC. No publications/presentations. Using the fiber optic stuff for my senior thesis.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List, physics scholarship that requires nomination from faculty (got this three times), another physics scholarship, placed 6th in a math competition

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutored in math, TA'd for a physics lab, have a job relating to thermal properties of materials.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Nah.

Special Bonus Points: One of my recommenders had connections at Texas A&M

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I didn't mention that I only took three years to graduate. Perhaps this hurt my chances due to my lacking much research experience.

Applying to Where: All for QC/QI

Texas A&M - Physics - (1/30: WILL ATTEND for Ph.D. Accepted via website/email + $30k/year Fellowship for four years (start TA second year, TA/RA third/fourth years)+$2k bonus for first month)
Colorado State - Physics - Also expressed interest in their photovoltaics group (2/19 ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website/email + $18k/9mo TA for first year)
CU Boulder - Physics - (2/18 REJECTED via website. No email.)
UW Madison - Physics - (1/30 REJECTED via website. No email.)

I should've applied to more schools, or applied for something other than QC. Seems like the applicant pool is really competitive, and probably has more relevant research experience.

tigerljl

Postby tigerljl » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:52 am

Undergrad Institution: Ivy
Major(s): Applied Physics
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: N/A
Overall GPA: 3.86
Length of Degree: 3
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic Asian Male

GRE Scores :
V: 161
W: 4.5
P: 920

TOEFL: (R: , L: , S: , W: )

Research Experience: 3 years of research experience in on-campus lab. 1 Summer REU at Princeton. 1 Summer SURF at Caltech.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Tau Beta Pi

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: Well known recommenders

Applying to Where:

Columbia - Applied Physics- (Jan. 29: Accepted for Ph.D. Accepted via website/email with Presidential Fellowship + $45k Fellowship)
Carnegie Mellon - ECE(Feb. 5: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website/email +$32K fellowship)
Duke - Medical Physics(Feb. 15: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website/email +$32K fellowship)
Caltech - Applied Physics - (Feb. 15: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website/email +$35K fellowship)
Georgia Tech - ECE - (Jan. 25: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website/email +$26K TA fellowship)
Yale - Applied Physics - (Feb. 11: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website/email +$33K TA fellowship)

UC Berkeley - EECS - (Mar. 1: REJECTED via email)
Harvard - Applied Physics - (Feb. 22: REJECTED via email)
Harvard - Physics - (Feb. 25: REJECTED via email)
MIT - Physics - (Feb. 12: REJECTED via website)
MIT - Medical Physics - (Jan. 18: REJECTED via website)
MIT - EECS - (Feb. 25: REJECTED via email)
UPenn - Electrical and Systems Engineering - (Mar. 7: REJECTED via email)
Stanford - Applied Physics - (Jan. 30: REJECTED via email)
UChicago - Medical Physics - (Mar. 5: REJECTED via email)
UChicago - Physics - (Feb. 7: REJECTED via email)

Princeton - Electrical Engineering - (Feb. 12: WAITLIST via email)

UIUC - ECE- (Application Withdrawn)

manhcam0510

Postby manhcam0510 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Undergrad Institution: national university, South East Asia, one of top schools in the country for physics (and natural science)
Major(s): Nuclear Engineeing
Minor(s): Medical Physics
GPA in Major: N/A
Overall GPA: 3.80/4 (9.17/10)
Length of Degree: 4 years
Position in Class: top of the class
Type of Student: international male

GRE Scores : 318
V: 148
W: 3.5
P: 920 (86%)

TOEFL: 101 (R: 28 , L: 26 , S: 20 , W: 27)

Research Experience: research for undergrad thesis, in medical physics, 1.5 years, oral presentation at the national conference.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?): Vallet Scholarship, First Prize in National Physics Olympiad for Undergrad Students,...

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for the department after graduation

Special Bonus Points: recommenders are: 1) thesis advisor, who graduated from Florida State, 2) a professor from Univ. of Virginia.

Applying to Where:

Reach:
- University of Colorado Boulder, AMO: rejected on Feb 19
- University of Washington, AMO: rejected on Mar 16
- Michigan State University, HEP:

Match:
- University of Virginia, Medical Physics: accepted Feb 2, $25,600 ($5,600 for summer), probably will attend, but the final scene in the movie BlacKkKlansman kinda makes me hesitant :v :v
- University of Rochester, AMO: rejected on Mar 15
- Florida State University, AMO:

Safe
- Oregon State, AMO: late submitting of LOR, speaking score not meet requirement: almost certain rejected
- UT Dallas, AMO: accepted Feb 6, TA/RA: $1900.00/month.
- Tulane: only 2 LOR submitted, think they wouldn't consider my application. But Accepted March 12, $20,494 (36 weeks) + $7,968 (summer)
Last edited by manhcam0510 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aenews

Postby aenews » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Undergrad Institution: UCLA
Major(s): Astrophysics
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 2.67
Overall GPA: 2.92
Upper-Division GPA: 2.75
Length of Degree: 5 Years (Switched to Astrophysics from Biochemistry during Spring 2nd Year)
Position in Class: Below Average
Type of Student: Domestic/Indian/Male

GRE Scores :
Q: 164 (86%)
V: 163 (93%)
W: 4.5 (82%)
P: 620 (32%)

Research Experience:

2 Quarters Extragalactic Cosmology w/ Astrophysics Professor

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: N/A

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Technology Reseller

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: President of Major Non-Physics Club

Special Bonus Points:
Recommendation Letter from Astrophysics Professor with whom I did research
Recommendation Letter from Head of Graduate Admissions

Applying to Where:

Beyond Reach:

UC Berkeley (UCB) - Astronomy PhD
UC Los Angeles (UCLA) - Astronomy PhD
UC Santa Cruz (UCSC) - Astronomy PhD - (Feb. 28: Rejected via email)
University of Washington - Astronomy PhD - (Feb. 6: Rejected via email)
John Hopkins University - Astronomy PhD - (Mar. 4: Rejected via email)
University of Wisconsin - Astronomy PhD - (Feb. 18: Rejected via email)
CalTech - Astronomy PhD - (Jan. 29: Rejected via email; Feb. 22: Rejected again via email)
University of Washington - Astronomy PhD - (Feb. 23: Rejected via email)
Princeton University - Astronomy PhD - (Feb. 6: Rejected via email)
Dartmouth College - Astronomy PhD

Reach:

University of Florida - Astronomy PhD
University of Iowa - Astronomy PhD

Almost Match:

San Diego State University (SDSU) - Astronomy MS
San Francisco State (SFSU) - Physics MS w/ Astronomy Emphasis
Arizona State University (ASU) - Astronomy MS
University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) - Astronomy MS
CSU Northridge (CSUN) - Physics MS
San Jose State University (SJSU) - Physics MS

dmphysics

Postby dmphysics » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:47 am

Congratulations! Are you going t o attend TAMU?
madeagascar wrote:______________________________________________
Undergrad Institution: Reputed Indian School, decent in Physics
Major(s): Physics and Chemical Engineering
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:7.3
Overall GPA:7.03
Length of Degree: 5 years
Position in Class: Average
Type of Student: International Male
GRE Scores :
Q: 167
V: 165
W: 4.0
P: 720

TOEFL:111 (R: 29, L: 30, S: 25, W: 27)

Research Experience: Research with experience in diverse fields, Nuclear Physics(4 projects), Material Science (3 projects), Chemical Engineering (1 Project)
In reverse chronological order -
- 10 months full time Research assistant experience working at an accelerator facility in nuclear physics.
- 2 months part-time theoretical study of EOS of Neutron Stars.
- 5 months full-time project on simulation of membrane for solar water distillation.
- 5 months full-time project on charged particle identification using digital signal processing.
- 5 months part-time project on synthesis of nanoparticles for cancer research.
- 5 months part-time project on comparative strength testing of fibres.
- 5 months part-time theoretical project on the nature of the Hoyle State.
- 2 months full-time project on surface chemical studies on graphite solutions.

1 poster presentation in a national conference, no publications.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Volunteered for multiple programs in science popularisation, have taught in a school for underprivileged children.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Participated in schools/workshops in Nuclear physics and Astrophysics (1 international school, 2 domestic)

Special Bonus Points: 3 good recommendations, 2 decent. One recommender is a prominent nuclear physicist at a leading research institute with a number of international collaborations. Another made it a point to mention that the lack of publication from my work was due to the industrial nature of the project.
Contacted the professors before applying to the Universities, a few seemed interested in my profile.

Applying to Where: All for Nuc-Ex.

University of British Columbia - (Feb. 20: Rejected via email)
University of Notre Dame - (Feb. 20: Rejected via email)
Florida State University (FSU) - (Feb. 11: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via website + $1k Dean's Fellowship + $20.9k TA)
Texas A&M University (TAMU) - (Feb. 26: ACCEPTED via mail from department. $2k fellowship + $2k per month TA)
Michigan State University (MSU) -
Indiana University Bloomington -
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill (UNC-CH) -
Ohio University - (Feb. 26: Waitlisted via mail from the department.)

pgeraghty3

Postby pgeraghty3 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 am

Undergrad Institution: Above average technical school
Minor(s): Applied Math
GPA in Major: ~3.7
Overall GPA: 3.48
Position in Class: near top
Type of Student: domestic white male

GRE Scores:
Q: 165
W: 5.0
P:

Research Experience: Senior Capstone research project in quantum optics, very theory based. Summer internship doing research in quantum information at Naval Research Labs, very good recommendation letter from them.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List 2 years running

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for the last 3 years

Special Bonus Points: Studied abroad in London and attended multiple physics workshops around Europe, met with people in graduate schools where I was applying. Great recommendation letter from 1 professor/research advisor.

Applying to Where:

Brown University - High Energy Theory (Mar 6: Rejected via email)
University of Washington - High Energy Theory (Mar 15: Rejected via email)
LSU - Gravitational Physics Theory
Penn State - Gravity/High Energy Theory (Mar 14: Rejected via email)
University of Oregon - High Energy Theory (Mar 11: Waitlisted via email)
Colorado School of Mines - Theoretical/Computational Physics (Mar 15: Rejected via email)
University of Nottingham - Gravity, Particles, and Fields MSc (Feb 13: Accepted! via email, no funding)
Utrecht University - Theoretical/Mathematical Physics MSc (Mar 6: Accepted! via email, TA position available)
Last edited by pgeraghty3 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thePuzzledPu

Postby thePuzzledPu » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:34 pm

Undergrad Institution: school in UK with good reputation in physics
GPA in Major: 75/100
Length of Degree: 4 year MSci degree
Position in Class: ~45/200
Type of Student: International Chinese Male

GRE Scores : Revised
V: 170
W: 4.0
P: 950

TOEFL: Exempted

Research Experience:
All at my school.
2nd Year Summer Lab Intern (12 weeks): Laser cooling and molecule trapping; mostly hands-on lab work building a novel kind of molecular beam decelerator for feeding into the trap; learned plenty of practical stuff like vacuum kits, lasers, cleaning and 3D modelling; overall enjoyable but of course no publication or anything since it's pure manual work.
3rd Year Summer Lab Intern (10 weeks): Pulsed-Power Plasma experiments; again lab works only; very fun to learn about all the stuff like Marx banks and laser diagnostics and all the other tailor-made experimental set up, really cool lab; again no publication or anything tho.
Master Thesis Project (about 6 months but not full time): Perovskite material for solar cell applications; bit too much chemistry and not enough physics for my liking; limited scope; potential publication as results may be incorporated into a PhD student's work.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

Special Bonus Points:

Applying to Where:

Cornell - Applied Physics - CME/QO (WILL ATTEND for Ph.D. Accepted via email + tuition + $36000 stipend incl.summer)
Harvard - Applied Physics - CME/QO (Rejected)
Maryland - Physics - CME/QO (Rejected)
Yale - Applied Physics - CME/QO (Rejected)
Rochester - Applied Physics - CME/QO (Rejected)
Chicago - Applied Physics - CME/QO (Rejected)

Some Thoughts:
Haven't seen many posts that show similar experience to mine so I thought I would write a few words.
First of all it's not easy to assemble a decent application from a UK undergraduate degree, mainly due to lack of proper research experience. The system supports summer research but anything long term like REU in US is not encouraged. There are more physics modules and lectures instead. As a result, good recommendation letters are hard to come by. Also, publications are extremely rare among my peers. Those with publications have to show exceptional initiatives I think.
Masters in UK are one year only, so that constrains the time frame quite a bit compared to longer master degrees from say Europe or China.
Based on the results which are half expected, I would say just liking physics throughout undergrad degree and research is hardly enough. An early on commitment seems crucial. I am not a physics nerd since young, but rather grew to like physics gradually while keeping a wide range of interests. In hindsight this definitely makes the path to postgrad physics difficult, but I don't really regret it. That's just how I evolve as a person. So I would say don't get discouraged if you are like me.
I don't think GRE scores matter much as I have friends with perfect PGre scores and excellent course grades that got rejected by all.
Finally I will just mention that being a Chinese national these days may have made it a tiny bit more difficult? Like I am having VISA troubles even with offer letters. As a result I am deferring till next year just in case. I heard horror stories of how Chinese PhD students got stuck half way through their degrees when their VISA renewal application got reviewed and took couple months to more than a year. Hope someone can tell me how bad it really is currently.

jdvynk

Postby jdvynk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Semi-victory post. Heard back from the biggest schools now, so I don't feel like I'll jinx myself. :)

Undergrad Institution: Big State, Top 20 in Physics/Astro
Minor(s): Lots of classes in Geology 8)
GPA in Major: 2.9ish last two years
Overall GPA: 3.2
Length of Degree: 5
Position in Class: Struggled
Type of Student: DWF, older now that I've taken a break

GRE Scores :
Q: 155
W: 4
P: 490 :shock: :lol: Probably could've retaken and jumped into 600's, but $$$ and I also didn't apply to all programs that required the PGRE.

Research Experience:
1.5 last years at school on linear device with spectroscopy. No pubs. Presented poster and got highest undergraduate research honor.

Summer REU building circuit for radar sensing system. Very rewarding, highly recommend (at KU). One co-author.

2 years at national lab (out of 4 I've taken off). First internship on semi-HEDP (plasma jets, woot woot). Second on a nuclear diagnostic for ICF implosions. One co-author; one potential co-author in manuscript. Presented poster at APS which was well-received. Gave a talk on the research, too.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Prize mentioned above. REU.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Hung out with the astro and SPS kids a lot, and was an officer for my last two years with Women in Physical Sciences. Started first-ever Physical Sciences Poster Fair at our school (the normal one is dominated by biologists and some engineers). Proudest moment was when I helped raise on the order of 10k's in $ to win a proposal to hold CUWiP at our school. :D

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Mostly focused on research and science-related activities in my application. Practically had a minor in music, but didn't think they'd care especially given my GPA.

Special Bonus Points: Two well-known recommenders in my field. One strong LOR from current advisor. Couldn't be more grateful.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Worked at a restaurant for two years while not in school. I'm an older student.

Applying to Where:

Reach:

Wisconsin, Madison - Physics - Plasma: Basic and fusion (Jan. 30: Rejected via website; March 1: Rejected via email)
UCSD - Mech and Aero Engineering - Plasma: Z pinches (Feb. 8: ACCEPTED for Ph.D via email + $29k/yr RA)
U of Rochester - Mechanical Engineering - Plasma: ICF and all the HEDP laser things (Feb. 12: ACCEPTED via email for Master's instead of PhD, partially funded)
UNM - Physics - Plasma: Basic and pulsed power/pinches (Feb. 13: Rejected via website)
U of Michigan - Applied Physics - Plasma: LPI re- loads of stuff (March 13: Rejected via email) Was worth a shot!
U of Rochester - Physics - Plasma: ICF and all the HEDP laser things (March 14: Rejected via email to check website) Ah well, looks like I was in the running for a bit at least. :)

Because I had an infatuation with electrical and computer engineering:
Boston University - ECE - Optics and information theory (Jan. 24: Rejected via email)
Wisconsin, Madison - ECE - Optics and information theory
U of Maryland - ECE - Optics and information theory

Fallback*:
UNM - ECE - Plasma: Basic and pulsed power/pinches (March 6: Unofficially accepted for Ph.D via email + $20k/yr RA)

*Honestly wasn't even sure I'd get in ANYWHERE, not even my "fallback."

Ankur Verma

Postby Ankur Verma » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:24 am

Undergrad Institution: Top Indian Institue well known for engineering. Reputation in Physics: QS World subject ranking 401-450
Major(s): Engineering Physics
GPA in Major: 7.46/10.0
Overall GPA: 7.46/10.0
Position in Class: average
Type of Student: International

GRE Scores : Revised
Q:169
V:155
W:4.0
P:970

TOEFL:100 (R:29 , L:28 , S:21 , W:22 )

Research Experience:
4 months of experimental nuclear physics at home institution.
3 months doing data analysis in nuclear physics at home institution.
6+ months studying light-atom interactions (B.tech project) at home institution.
+ 4 minor engineering projects
NO PUBLICATIONS
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Ranked among National Top 1% in the National Graduate Physics Examination 2018(a national
level examination testing undergraduate level physics organized by IAPT) among 13924 enrolled
candidates

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: None

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:none

Special Bonus Points: none

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Significantly decreasing trend in gpa

Applying to Where:
All for HEPCOS-Th
Stony Brook -Mar 6: Rejected for Ph.D.(Accepted for Masters via email without funding)
Boston University -(Mar 14: Rejected via email)
Texas A&M university - (Jan 22:Interview , Feb 28:Accepted for M.Sc. via website/email with full tution fee waiver, 2000$/month TA and 2000$ fellowship) WILL ATTEND!
UMass Amherst -
Rice University -(Feb 27: Rejected via email)
University of Illinois chicago -
SUNY Buffalo -
Pennsylvania State University(Mar 19: Rejected via email)

Remark: I started applying in Jan so had limited no. of universities accepting applications at the time.

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”