Applying to physics PhD program with a non-traditional background

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

squark123

Applying to physics PhD program with a non-traditional background

Postby squark123 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:54 am

Dear all ,

I'm interested in applying for PhD programs in physics this summer. I'm mostly interested in high energy theory. There are two things that concerns me :

1- I didn't take any physics / math course during my undergraduate years "In fact I graduated from medical school" but I studied the undergraduate+ graduate level curriculum independently.To substantiate this claim , I took the PGRE and scored 920 and worked as a physics TA and RA.During my RA years , I independently studied some advanced topics such as Twistor theory , mathematical gauge theory , QFT and other things.

2- I'm also interested in systems biology , biophysics and other medicine related disciplines. Unfortunately , I didn't spend much time researching biophysics , and so I think my SOP may be weaker in this regard.

Given my background , Do I have a reasonable chance to get admitted to a physics PhD program studying Hep th?

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”