How important are the courses in senior spring semester?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

bcjw5

How important are the courses in senior spring semester?

Post by bcjw5 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Hello everyone, I have a quick question regarding the courses in senior spring semester. Currently I am an undergraduate senior (about to graduate in May 2018) and have already been accepted into a few Physics PhD programs (yet to decide which one to attend though). This semester (senior spring, Jan 2018---May 2018) I am taking three graduate-level courses. However, two of the courses are quite hard and I really want to drop them :? :? . I'm wondering if this decision would risk my admission be revoked by the accepted graduate school?

Dropping the two courses will NOT affect my graduation during this May, since I have already completed all requirement for the Bachelor degree. It will NOT show in my official transcript or affect my GPA either, since my college has a "No Record" policy which means only passed courses would be shown on the official transcript. If a student fails or drops a course, it is equivalent to the scenario where the student has never taken the course. But I am still worried that if the graduate school saw I have only passed one course in my senior spring semester, they might become suspicious and revoke my admission... :|

Just a personal note: I feel I really need to refine my math and programming knowledge during this summer, otherwise I'm pretty sure I will not survive even the first year of PhD studies...