Help me if you know about topological insulators/ 2D materials/ and topology

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

bahar.physics

Help me if you know about topological insulators/ 2D materials/ and topology

Post by bahar.physics » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:29 am

Hi young physicists

I am in a very very very bad mood that I can not decide what university to choose. I want to share my admitted universities and the topics.

* My Real Concern I have a B.Sc degree in physics, I love 2D materials, and more topological superconductors and topological insulators, weyl semimetals. My preference is theoretical researches but I like experimental ones too! I have contacted many scientists both base on my interest and my second interest, which in optics. However, professors who work on something different from my interest showed a lot of interests than people who work on my interest subjects! Also experimentalists who work only on TIs or 2D materials did not show any interests to me, and sometimes I missed them because I had a focus on the theorists! My real concern is that, just like any other bachelors, I feel unconcern about whether I can be good in theoretical physics or experimental one! And whether topology, which is hard, is ok for me! Could I be good at it! Could I do my best! I don't know

I love Prof. Andrei Bernevig and Prof. Taylor haughes :cry:

My Admitted Universities
  • Montana state University
:arrow: This university is situated in Bozemen, the city is in not city is county, I love nature! But I don't know whether I can be there for 7 years and be happy!
:arrow: I have contacted a professor there and he has encouraged me to apply and chosen topics for me about working on superconductors and topological ordering. That's nice!
:arrow: after I have admitted, a professor who works on 2D material and a new faculty has contacted me, he had worked on national lab Berkeley Lawrence, I like his work and I know he has many connections. But would it be too rude to work on anybody else rather than the professor I have contacted at first?
Stipend: 1600 per month
  • Case western Reserve Univ

The rank is good! #61
The city, Cleveland, is better than Bozemen!
:arrow: the professor works on plasmonic a and metamaterials who is really expert on it. also he holds a conference every 2 years and invites super scientist on such topics. That's an advantage! Connections!
:arrow: the problem is that I don't know whether I like this topic or not!
:arrow: there is another scientist who works on Topological insulators, but I have insisted that I am eager to work with him! Could I change it? I am stupid, I know!
Stipend: 24k a year
  • Wesleyan University
The city, Middletown, is situated nearby big cities!
:arrow: I have been interviewed by a Prof Kottos who is expert on P-T symmetry, but my mentor was chosen his collaboration in the department. Prof kottos is hardworking and ambitious . That's good, but he won't be my first advisor!
:arrow: My problem is that, when I look back at topological insulators, topology, ... my heart is beating :?
Stipend 2750 per month!!!

Other university is Univ of South Carolina and Texas tech univ which are not my interest.

Help me, I want to be an expert in my field. I want to love it. I am stuck in a bad situation and I do not know how to manage it.

Thank you guys.