Admittance Etiquette Reminder

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

WashU2468

Admittance Etiquette Reminder

Post by WashU2468 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:20 am

Congratulations to everyone being admitted to such excellent schools this year!! You should be so proud of yourselves!! :D

This is just a reminder that, as soon as you know you won't be attending a school, please decline/withdraw immediately. I understand that it is very helpful to visit schools to make a decision. However, many students have already posted acceptances to more than 4 universities, or to several top-notch programs clearly above the rest, and can surely withdraw applications/decline pending offers from several schools which are out of the running.

While it is possible to wait until April to make such a decision, doing so much earlier is polite to the schools that must identify appropriate candidates who can accept by the deadline and to students who are making difficult decisions themselves. Though offers can be extended after April, students will likely have already accepted other offers, so waiting more than just a few weeks to reply can make it impossible for applicants to accept a desired offer.
Last edited by WashU2468 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsr12

Re: Admittance Etiquette Reminder

Post by dsr12 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:50 am

Thank you for this. I have 12 applications still out with no response and am serious when I say I am suffering. I hope that no news is sometimes good news, because several of my schools have also sent out sporadic rejections to others over the last coupe weeks. And because my last name is way back in the alphabet :( (I know for a fact that 2 of my schools are going alphabetically through applications!).
It's an awful purgatory to wait like this. Quite a few of my schools are considered safety schools to others on this list who have already been admitted to their match or reach schools. I hope they will kindly withdraw their applications once they know they will not attend.

Congrats to those who are admitted, and my empathy to all those who are still waiting like I am. :oops: