Decision Dates 2018

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

akander

Re: Decision Dates 2018

Post by akander » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Just got accepted to UChicago Physics, $30,342 stipend.

xuning

Post by xuning » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:57 pm

akander wrote:Just got accepted to UChicago Physics, $30,342 stipend.
Congrats! Heard it's really hard to get into UChi this year since they accepted too many people last year.

911876gev

Post by 911876gev » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:39 pm

Accepted to uChicago with a fellowship:

Our offer comes with a distinguished Yoichiro Nambu Fellowship. This fellowship will provide you with full tuition support, health insurance, and a stipend of $47,600 per year for the first three years of graduate study. (Details are outlined here.) After your third year, support covering tuition and stipend will come from a combination of Research and Teaching Assistantships and will continue until you receive your degree.

akander

Post by akander » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:16 am

911876gev wrote:Accepted to uChicago with a fellowship:

Our offer comes with a distinguished Yoichiro Nambu Fellowship. This fellowship will provide you with full tuition support, health insurance, and a stipend of $47,600 per year for the first three years of graduate study. (Details are outlined here.) After your third year, support covering tuition and stipend will come from a combination of Research and Teaching Assistantships and will continue until you receive your degree.

Wow nice, that's a crazy good financial package. Maybe I'll be seeing you there in the Fall.

histoscienology

Post by histoscienology » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:37 pm

911876gev wrote:Accepted to uChicago with a fellowship:

Congrats! You must be so good that they give you that good of a deal. Let me know if you are going to the open house.

bahar.physics

Post by bahar.physics » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:14 am

un par de tenis wrote:I'm just beginning to receive some emails that my applications are under review!

These are for LSU, Montana State, and Stevens.
would you please share your scores and cv, or any significance in your work experiences?

akander

Post by akander » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Just got accepted to Cornell Applied Physics PhD via email. 30.4k stipend per 9 months.

un par de tenis

Post by un par de tenis » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:53 pm

bahar.physics wrote:
un par de tenis wrote:I'm just beginning to receive some emails that my applications are under review!

would you please share your scores and cv, or any significance in your work experiences?
See my post in this thread (first one on the second page) http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=50

Just got my first acceptance! Applied physics at NAU

bahar.physics

Post by bahar.physics » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:39 pm

un par de tenis wrote:
bahar.physics wrote:

See my post in this thread (first one on the second page) http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... 8&start=50

congratulate! My first acceptance is MSU. Do you know about this university?

un par de tenis

Post by un par de tenis » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:59 pm

bahar.physics wrote:
un par de tenis wrote:
bahar.physics wrote:

congratulate! My first acceptance is MSU. Do you know about this university?[/quote]

I assume you're referring to Montana State?

I've applied there too, and I haven't heard back yet unfortunately :?

From what I know it's a pretty good school. I worked on a project with some professors from there, and they were really nice and knowledgeable. Congratulations to you as well!

laniakea1

Post by laniakea1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:04 am

Had an interview with University of Alabama on February 1st, but since then no reply...

Anyone knows anything about them...I saw one acceptance on thegradcafe days ago.

xuning

Post by xuning » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Got acceptances from MIT and Princeton in the same morning Yaaaay

dsr12

Post by dsr12 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Any thoughts on when it is appropriate to write schools for status updates on my applications? I applied to 13 schools and have only heard from one thus far (Michigan). I did contact one school about something else and asked for a status update, and was told that my application had not been reviewed yet because they go in alphabetical order! The wait is gut-wrenching! Especially when I see some (not all) of my schools sporadically coming up here and on gradcafe with acceptances and rejections...
Any thoughts? Perhaps I should just suck it up and leave them alone :oops:

bahar.physics

Post by bahar.physics » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:30 am

Does any one have received any result from "University of utah", "Umass-Amherst": and "University of South Carolina"?

physics boi

Post by physics boi » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Rejection from Cornell today

yougivemeahadron

Post by yougivemeahadron » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Northwestern is sending out the rest of their acceptances by the end of this week.

dialatone

Post by dialatone » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 pm

JQI fellowship from UMD today. Excited!

Explorer33

Post by Explorer33 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:06 am

dsr12 wrote:Any thoughts on when it is appropriate to write schools for status updates on my applications? I applied to 13 schools and have only heard from one thus far (Michigan). I did contact one school about something else and asked for a status update, and was told that my application had not been reviewed yet because they go in alphabetical order! The wait is gut-wrenching! Especially when I see some (not all) of my schools sporadically coming up here and on gradcafe with acceptances and rejections...
Any thoughts? Perhaps I should just suck it up and leave them alone :oops:
It's still too early to bug them. I am in your position too; some of the schools I have applied to have sent out acceptances but I have got neither acceptances nor denials from them. I am gonna hold off till March 15th before asking schools if they have n't replied yet (I expect them to by then though).

common_2012

Post by common_2012 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:00 am

dialatone wrote:JQI fellowship from UMD today. Excited!
May I be curious what your division is? Have all offers of AMO been delivered?
I'm upset for no news to me.

dialatone

Post by dialatone » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:04 pm

common_2012 wrote:
dialatone wrote:JQI fellowship from UMD today. Excited!
May I be curious what your division is? Have all offers of AMO been delivered?
I'm upset for no news to me.
CMT. Best of luck!!

Rejected

Post by Rejected » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Accepted Rice university today

un par de tenis

Post by un par de tenis » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Anyone hear back from LSU or New Mexico Tech yet?

I talked with my contact at Montana State. I was told that I didn't make the first round of applicants, but that I'm definitely not rejected yet. If you've been accepted to Montana State and you know that you won't be attending please decline your offer!

Dewgale

Post by Dewgale » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:56 pm

Rejected from MIT on the 13th, and rejected from Princeton on the 14th. One-two punch :cry:

waterloo

Post by waterloo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:10 pm

Has anyone heard from Brandeis, Tufts or Northeastern?

Thanks!

ham

Post by ham » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:59 am

waterloo wrote:Has anyone heard from Brandeis, Tufts or Northeastern?

Thanks!
Hi, I received an offer from Northeastern on 7 Feb. I have declined the offer as I will not be attending it. Good luck!

cbcbcbcb

Post by cbcbcbcb » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:35 pm

hey, have any astronomers heard from uw madison? i havent seen anything here or on gradcafe yet...

astrodyn

Post by astrodyn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:21 am

Did anybody heard back from Cornell Astronomy?..
It seems that there is at least one person who got accepted to the dept. but I am not sure whether the first round is over or not. :cry: :cry:

dsr12

Post by dsr12 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:56 am

Well, I have officially received NO response from the following schools, which seem to be sending out acceptances and rejections regularly: UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, UC San Diego, U of Oregon, U of Washington, NYU, JHU, Columbia, UNC, UH Manoa. I contacted Oregon a week ago, and was told they had not opened my application but would shortly. UCSD just sent a generic response saying would send notices over the next several months. Davis did not reply, so I contacted the POI I have corresponded with in the past. Waiting on that. Am doing the same for UH today.
My question is if anyone knows what the heck I should think at this point? My applications are complete and in order. They are all just "under review", "submitted", or "pending". I can't figure it out and I am losing my marbles thinking about what I will do if I get all rejections :oops:

laniakea1

Post by laniakea1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:29 pm

dsr12 wrote:Well, I have officially received NO response from the following schools, which seem to be sending out acceptances and rejections regularly: UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, UC San Diego, U of Oregon, U of Washington, NYU, JHU, Columbia, UNC, UH Manoa. I contacted Oregon a week ago, and was told they had not opened my application but would shortly. UCSD just sent a generic response saying would send notices over the next several months. Davis did not reply, so I contacted the POI I have corresponded with in the past. Waiting on that. Am doing the same for UH today.
My question is if anyone knows what the heck I should think at this point? My applications are complete and in order. They are all just "under review", "submitted", or "pending". I can't figure it out and I am losing my marbles thinking about what I will do if I get all rejections :oops:

I got rejected by UW days ago, still waiting to hear something from NYU

dsr12

Post by dsr12 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:39 pm

laniakea1 wrote:
dsr12 wrote:Well, I have officially received NO response from the following schools, which seem to be sending out acceptances and rejections regularly: UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, UC San Diego, U of Oregon, U of Washington, NYU, JHU, Columbia, UNC, UH Manoa. I contacted Oregon a week ago, and was told they had not opened my application but would shortly. UCSD just sent a generic response saying would send notices over the next several months. Davis did not reply, so I contacted the POI I have corresponded with in the past. Waiting on that. Am doing the same for UH today.

I got rejected by UW days ago, still waiting to hear something from NYU
Yes, I have seen both acceptances and rejections from UW. I have heard nothing. As for NYU, I am not sure if they have sent out rejections yet, but I have seen plenty of acceptances. I am trying to think no news is good news at this point. Oregon told me they notified everyone before March 15. My application was still in line for review... good luck with everything. Commiseration helps :)

atw5179

Post by atw5179 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Have any astro people received anything from ASU yet?

waterloo

Post by waterloo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:44 pm

ham wrote:
waterloo wrote:Has anyone heard from Brandeis, Tufts or Northeastern?

Thanks!
Hi, I received an offer from Northeastern on 7 Feb. I have declined the offer as I will not be attending it. Good luck!
Thanks ham. Anyone else heard from these schools?

mbien

Post by mbien » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:21 am

Anyone know if UIUC or UCSB is done giving offers?

asdf1234

Post by asdf1234 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:43 pm

UIUC astro was meeting today for second wave of invites

Rejected

Post by Rejected » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Accepted at Columbia. All school responses complete.

911876gev

Post by 911876gev » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Declined uPenn and Carnegie Mellon today. Good luck to everyone.

Schroedingers2c

Post by Schroedingers2c » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:18 am

Has anyone heard back from the University of Southern California? It‘s been 2 months now...

dsr12

Post by dsr12 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Does anyone have any updates from UNC Chapel Hill or University of Oregon? I received generic responses to my queries. Gradcafe has no news. Anyone here received decisions lately? Really want to plan my future :?

Thanks.

dsr12

Post by dsr12 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:54 pm

A humble request to all who have been admitted to University of Oregon to decline offers if you are not attending. I am at the top of the wait list here and am very interested in this program.

Bowing down in gratitude.

beaverbullu6

Post by beaverbullu6 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:09 am

A request to those who have gotten acceptances where you don't intend to go, please decline your offers.

dsr12

When is it time to pressure schools for their decisions?

Post by dsr12 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:59 am

I have a good offer from one school, am wait listed for another and am waiting on a third (UNC Chapel Hill, who seem to be extremely late this year). My first school actually sweetened their offer to me a couple days ago with an additional scholarship after first writing to me to see if I was still considering them. They are politely asking me to get on with it and reply now. These are all PhD programs.
So, my question is: Is it time to pressure my other two schools for their replies? It seems like UNC must have answers by now (even though they told me just last week they were still reviewing applications and had not issued decisions). And perhaps the wait listed school has an idea whether they will admit students from the wait list this year by now, and can give me an idea where I am on the list? When do you think it's time to bite the bullet? I hate to wait until April 14. Someone else might be wait listed after me and need an answer as well... I am not sure what the the proper etiquette here.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

TakeruK

Re: When is it time to pressure schools for their decisions?

Post by TakeruK » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:04 am

dsr12 wrote:I have a good offer from one school, am wait listed for another and am waiting on a third (UNC Chapel Hill, who seem to be extremely late this year). My first school actually sweetened their offer to me a couple days ago with an additional scholarship after first writing to me to see if I was still considering them. They are politely asking me to get on with it and reply now. These are all PhD programs.
So, my question is: Is it time to pressure my other two schools for their replies? It seems like UNC must have answers by now (even though they told me just last week they were still reviewing applications and had not issued decisions). And perhaps the wait listed school has an idea whether they will admit students from the wait list this year by now, and can give me an idea where I am on the list? When do you think it's time to bite the bullet? I hate to wait until April 14. Someone else might be wait listed after me and need an answer as well... I am not sure what the the proper etiquette here.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Your instinct is right---it is now a good time to reach out** to the schools you're waiting on and ask them if they have any update for you and if not, whether they have an idea of when they would admit people from a waitlist. Let them know that you are asking since you currently have an offer and you don't want to keep everyone waiting longer than necessary (or something like that).

** I use "reach out" instead of your subject line of "pressure" because you really shouldn't be viewing this interaction as you applying pressure to them since 1) you don't really have that leverage over them and 2) if that tone comes across then it wouldn't reflect well on you! I'm guessing you probably do mean something more neutral like "reach out" though but just wanted to point it out.

Also, one thing you could do to also do your part to speed up the process is to make a ranked list of your schools assuming you have adequate funding everywhere. At this point, if you get a last minute offer from either waitlisted school, it's unlikely you can do a visit before having to make a decision. So other than the details of the offer letter (which is still quite important), you do have almost all the information you need to determine your preferences.

Therefore, you could potentially make some decisions now. Assume that each of the two waitlisted school will give you a decent funding offer (i.e. enough to live on) so that funding won't be a factor in your decision. How would you rank these three schools? If any of the waitlisted schools rank below the one where you have the offer-in-hand, I would seriously consider withdrawing from that school. If a waitlisted school is ahead of your offer-in-hand school, decide now how low the funding offer from waitlisted school would have to be in order for you to choose offer-in-hand school instead. It's helpful to have this in mind so that you can make a decision almost immediately after receiving an offer from a waitlisted school, should that scenario happen!

dsr12

Post by dsr12 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:25 am

Thank you TakeruK. I appreciate your thoughts.

Yes, the word pressure was really not my intention. I am quite tactful when I correspond with schools. That was a poor word choice for my post.

I contacted UNC, who answered with an apology for the long admissions process this year, and they said my application was under review and I would be notified before April 13.

I also contacted the wait list school, who said that there would be several wait list offers made next week. They also said to remember that I am not required to confirm any offers until April 15, so to please wait for their offers to go out before confirming my other school.

So I am basically in the waiting game still. If I do receive another offer, I will have maybe a day or two to decide! At least the 15th falls on a Sunday this year. So I will have Saturday to contemplate :roll:

astroprof

Post by astroprof » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:09 am

Just as a general reminder to all who have multiple offers, or are waiting to hear if they have multiple offers: no US school can require you to make a decision prior to April 15. However, out of courtesy to your fellow classmates, it is beneficial to all involved if you narrow your selection down to no more than two schools at this point. Notify those schools that you are no longer considering that you decline their offer, even if you have not yet made your final decision. This will allow the majority of schools to re-evaluate their potential incoming class size, and to start making offers to those on the wait list, if appropriate. For context, some schools make more offers than they expect to accept, and just leave it at that. Other schools are aiming for a specific target incoming class size (usually based on the available funding) and will start to admit from the wait list when too many of the original offers are declined. In this latter instance, offers may continue to be made up-to, and past, April 15.

If you are on a wait list (or have not heard a final decision from a school), it is ok to contact the school to see if they can provide additional information at this point (this shows that you are still interested), but do not be surprised if the response is that they still do not know. Most schools will not make additional offers until they have heard from the majority (or even all) of the students that were made the first offers. If your colleagues are slow to respond, then both you and the school will just have to wait. At the same time, if you are on a wait list and know that you are no longer interested in that school, you should withdraw your application (just send an email stating that you have accepted an offer elsewhere and no longer wish to be considered for admission), so that the next person on the wait list will have a chance to be notified more quickly.

This time of year is difficult for everyone. You are making decisions that could affect the rest of your career, so take the time you need to consider your options carefully. Nonetheless, still recognize that you are part of a larger group of aspiring physicists/astronomers, and it is in your best interests to act responsibly.

ycao17

Post by ycao17 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Still no response from Wisconsin Madison, Columbia Applied Physics or UCSD. It's already past April 15th. Should I contact their department?