Most welcoming astronomy programs for Computer Science Majors

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

deathstroke

Most welcoming astronomy programs for Computer Science Majors

Post by deathstroke » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi all!

I am currently in the penultimate semester of my undergraduate studies majoring in computer science. I am planning to pursue graduate education in astronomy. I have been working in astronomy since my sophomore year and have substantial research experience. I did projects ranging from analysis of ionospheric data to applied machine learning for 21cm Cosmology. Mostly my research interests center around a field known as astroinformatics and I am planning to apply to schools that either offer a specialization or have faculty working in the same. Below is my profile and current list of schools I am planning to apply to. Since I am a CS undergrad, I am not sure which Universities would be reach, optimistic or safe for me. I would appreciate your inputs for the same and it would be immensly helpful if you can point out some other graduate programs that I can possibly apply to. Thanks!

Undergrad Institution: Indian university famous for CS, no reputation for Physics
Major(s): Computer Science
Overall GPA: 7.6/10
Length of Degree: 4
Position in Class: Institute does not award ranks
Type of Student: International Male

GRE Scores :
Q:167 (92%)
V:154 (65%)
W:4 (60%)
P:Did not take(Applying to schools without or optional PGRE)

TOEFL(iBT): (R: 30, L: 30, S: 24, W: 28,Total: 112)

Research Experience: Multiple undergraduate research experiences in reputed astronomy institute in India. Work mainly centered around data analysis and machine learning for astronomy.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Winner of one of the world's largest hackathon events, ICPC regionals, Conference publication in Computer Vision

Special Bonus Points: Primary recommender is well known in radio astronomy and might have contacts

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Visited UW for a summer school in astroinformatics

Applying to Where:

CalTech - Astronomy - Data-Intensive Astronomy
University of Washington - Astronomy - Big Data and Data Science Interdisciplinary Track
Northwestern - Physics and Astronomy - Exoplanets, Interdisciplinary research in astronomy(Check out- http://ciera.northwestern.edu)
Vanderbilt - Astronomy - Astro-informatics specialization
Rochester Institute of Technology - Astrophysical Science and Technology - Astro-informatics
Wesleyan - Astronomy - Exoplanets(Mostly applying as a safe option, however not even sure if I can call it that though)

Also considering to apply:- University of Arizona, University of Michigan, UC-SC

Let me know your thoughts!