Please help in profile evaluation!

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

joytotheworld

Please help in profile evaluation!

Postby joytotheworld » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:52 am

Undergrad Institution: Reputed institute in my country, not that much in physics
Major(s):Physics
GPA in Major:NA
Overall GPA:7.8/10
Length of Degree: 5
Position in Class: near top
Type of Student: International male

GRE Scores : revised
Q:169
V:155
W:3.5
P:Yet to take.

TOEFL: Yet to take

Research Experience: Couple of reading projects(Summer),1 project in foundations of QM that lead to a paper(Summer), 1 project in theoretical GR that will lead to paper(not before applications)[5 months], 1 project in conformal bootstrap with a well-known researcher in the field, that will lead to a paper(not before the applications)[5 months], MSc thesis was mostly reading, and also had some verifying calculations.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: A reputed scholarship in my country, qualified in the top 1% list in 2 physics olympiad kind of exams in my country

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: taught underprivileged children as a part of a social service group

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:NA

Special Bonus Points: one of the referees is pretty well known in his field, 3 strong research LORs, had a decent grade in a string theory course.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:
Applying for Ph.D. the incredibly competitive field HEP-th
Haven't made a list yet.
Super ambitious: Caltech, Yale, Cornell, Stony Brook, Brown (because one of the referees have connections in these places)
somewhat ambitious: UT Austin, Texas A&M University, Rutgers, Waterloo.

Is it okay to ask professors before the application?
Please suggest some safe universitites.
Any other kind of suggestions is most welcome.

Return to “Prospective Physics Graduate Student Topics”