Undergrad Institution: Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
Major(s): Engineering Physics
Overall GPA: 8.3/10
Length of Degree: 4 years
Position in Class: Top 10%
Type of Student: International Male
TOEFL: 113 (R: 28, L: 30, S: 25, W: 30)Research Experience:
Ongoing thesis project in NMSSM Higgs Phenomenology. Expect one publication out of it.
Semester Internship in Cosmology with quite a famous professor (1 preprint: second author)
Summer Project in Electroweak Theory & Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking (No significant results)
Summer Internship in Cosmology with somewhat famous Professor (No significant results)Awards/Honors/Recognitions:
1. Achieved a rank in top 0.2 percentile in the JEE examination taken by 1.3 million aspirants.
2. Awarded merit certicate by CBSE for achieving 0.1 percentile in Grade 12 (AISSCE) examinations.Pertinent Activities or Jobs:
1. Academic Advisor for 1 semester: freshmen undergraduate Physics Course.
2. Teaching Assistant, Undergraduate, and Graduate Quantum Mechanics - I courses.Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:Positions of Responsibility & Administration
1. Board for Student Publications: Chief Editor, Creative (2017-18) and Journalist (2016-17);
2. Literati: Coordinator of Workshops (2017) and Activity Head (2016);
3. Shivalik Hostel, IIT Delhi: Vice Captain, Lawn Tennis Team (2016-17).ECA & Social Work
1. Debating: Represented IIT Delhi in the finals of IIT Bombay Debate IV, 2017;
2. Debating: Speaker in First Runner Up team in Inter-House Fresher's Parliamentary Debate, 2016;
3. Literature: Coordinator for English Poetry Workshops, 2016 and 2017;
4. SocialWork: Supervision of construction of Toilets for financially underprivileged under RK Mission.Special Bonus Points:
Grad Classes in QFT - 1, General Relativity, Group Theory. Future Grad courses in QFT - II, Supersymmetry. Future Thesis Project: Dark Matter Theory and Cosmology, Recommendation from the aforementioned famous professor, + recommendation from another somewhat famous professor doing Theoretical Physics from home universityReduce Points: No courses in Cosmology offered at home institutionAny Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:
Present Extra Knowledge includes Foundational Quantum Mechanics, QFT - II from research projects, Statistical AnalysisApplied To
- All for PhD in High Energy Theory/Quantum Cosmology
1. Princeton University - Rejected via e-mail, Feb 12, 2019
2. The University of Chicago - Rejected via e-mail to check website, Feb 07, 2019
3. Stanford University - Rejected via e-mail, Feb 20, 2019
4. Perimeter, ON, Canada - Probably Rejected, will not update unless accepted
1. The University of Maryland, College Park - Rejected via e-mail, Feb 14, 2019
2. The University of California, Los Angeles - Probably Rejected, will not update unless accepted
3. The University of Toronto - Rejected via e-mail to check website, Mar 5, 2019, 2019
4. Pennsylvania State University - Rejected via e-mail, Mar 14, 2019, 2019
5. Columbia University - Rejected via e-mail to check website, Mar 11, 2019, 2019
6. Stony Brook University - Rejected via e-mail, Mar 2, 2019, 2019 Accepted for unsupported Masters, cannot afford.
1. Texas A&M University - Probably Rejected, will not update unless accepted
2. Brown University - Rejected via e-mail, Mar 5, 2019, 2019An afterthought:
I have no clue till now what was wrong with my application. Probably just the fact that I applied for HET, but upon further consideration, I don't believe I would have wanted to apply for cosmo despite having a profile tailored for it. Sometimes, all you can do is accept what comes your way, and at those times you may feel like you're getting less than what you deserve. Hope you get some help from my profile and understand everything I did wrong, including my SoP. A copy of the SoP I sent to Maryland can be found here https://1drv.ms/b/s!AgvqaOhYtUSagYUYI-KPh2PL5FVbxA
After going through the profile of someone else from India who has been accepted into HET at TAMU at this very forum, I have realized that I was perhaps rejected from everywhere on account of either bad recommendations, bad SoP, or a lack of research in HET. The first is highly unlikely as my recommenders could not believe it when I told them about the rejection from Columbia. My SoP is here for you to see, so you can avoid the mistakes that I made, and I cannot cure the lack of research in HET for now, except for the fact that I am currently engaged in it.
I really don't know what I am going to do now.Accepts defeat.