Undergraduate major mechanical engineering to graduate major theoretical physics

ROHAN2104

Undergraduate major mechanical engineering to graduate major theoretical physics

Post by ROHAN2104 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Hello,

I'm a mechanical engineer from India. But now I want to pursue physics major.
This year I appeared for physics gre and scored 940 with 90th percentile.
But I don't have any research experience in physics.
So can anyone suggest me regarding the universities that I should apply to? I'm not able to guess where I can get admitted with this score but without research experience and hence unable to decide.

Thanks & Regards,
Sachin Vaidya.

bunnysid

Re: Undergraduate major mechanical engineering to graduate major theoretical physics

Post by bunnysid » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:16 pm

The admissions committee take into account a lot of factors apart from only PGRE scores. GPA, Research experience, Research interest and letters of recommendation.
If you are inclined towards theory then in most cases competition is tougher. It's difficult to suggest which Universities you should apply since you have no research experience but I would say you can aim for Universities ranked above 20 if you feel your recommendations will be really good. Or else you can also apply for Masters degree which some universities offer.

I am also an Indian student and will be applying for fall 2017.

ROHAN2104

Re: Undergraduate major mechanical engineering to graduate major theoretical physics

Post by ROHAN2104 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:46 am

I'm thinking of master's in physics bcz being from irrelevant background, I think it is better to go for master's first then for PhD.

Sidharh

Post by Sidharh » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:28 pm

I have been following these engineering to physics posts on the platform for some time.
May I know where I can find the profile of applicants that were successful in making this transition, and the universities they applied to?

I am in a similar position right now, and this data would help me make the right university choices depending on my profile.

Thank you for the help in advance!