From electrical engineering to physics

From electrical engineering to physics

Postby egnomic » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:15 am

I am an electrical engineering junior (just started junior year) at an American university (state school, more known for engineering. I'm at a branch campus abroad but I get the university's exact same degree). I intend to pursue my PhD in physics, particularly computational physics and nonlinear optics. I'm hoping to get into a top 10 school in the US (applying as an international student).

My qualifications:
  • Minor in mathematics (I've basically formally done all the math courses most physics majors would study except PDEs, more to follow on that).
  • GPA 4.0
  • Currently styudying for PGRE, I still have 14 months to go until my last chances so I think I should be able to do well.
  • 2 years of ongoing research experience at my university (nonlinear optics, mainly computational and some theory).
  • 2 month research program at a rather solid optics research institute in Europe.
  • Upcoming publication in physical review letters, 2 more in preparation and hopefully will have a minimum of 3 journal papers by the time I apply.
  • 1 conference paper and 1 poster presented at conferences.
  • 1.5 years of teaching experience in physics (both E&M and mechanics). I'm basically a TA for my primary research advisor.
  • I should be able to get solid references. 2 of my professors are MIT and Stanford alumni, and the 2 other professors I've worked with in research are also well known in the field and quite prolific. Two of my 3 main references work in theoretical/computational nonlinear optics and dynamics, the third is in experimental nonlinear optics). They have all offered to write me references before I even asked.

My massive downsides:
  • Haven't learnt much physics formally. Only intro mechanics and E&M and modern physics (basically the relativity/QM/atomic physics/stat physics portion of GRE).
  • Haven't done a PDE course, but hopefully my research experience (which is very PDE intensive) might help with that.
  • I do not even have the option to do any more physics classes before I graduate to make up for this (engineering only branch campus, too late to transfer to main campus).

I have talked to all my physics professors whom I have done research with, and all of them think that I should ideally have a solid chance at some of the top schools. I think that they are being too optimistic about this, my research record is not particularly that special, and my background in electrical engineering should be a massive drawback.

I will be applying in my senior year, so I have around 15 months until application deadlines. My questions are:
    1. Realistically, what are my chances of getting accepted at top schools like MIT, Stanford, Harvard, etc? I care a lot about where I get my PhD because I intend to work in academia, and landing a tenure track position with a tier 1 PhD is already hard enough.
    2. How can I benefit the most of this period, besides obviously studying for the GRE as much as humanly possible and doing more research.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm showing off, I'm truly not and I'm constantly trying to improve myself, I just wanted to list my raw qualifications and see if anyone can give me more advice as I'm very worried.

Thank you and sorry for the long post.

Return to “Transitioning to Physics from a non-physics field”