Switching to Physics from Business

juventino
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Switching to Physics from Business

Postby juventino » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi,

I'm almost 30 years old. I have Bachelor's of Commerce degree from India. It is a 3 year degree. I graduated in 2006. Since then I've been different kinds of work and am now settled into selling real estate.

But I really have this desire to study astronomy/astrophysics and I want to know which schools would be willing to consider an applicant like myself.

I would like to know how to prepare for the Physics GRE and even the Math GRE so I can demonstrate an ability in both to the admissions council.

The last time I studied Physics was in high school and as of now I know nothing in Physics or Math.

I am eager and would like to at least give the GREs a shot and see where I stand.

Please guide me towards good inexpensive books or list the topics I need to study and I will find alternative books in India.

Thanks!

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: Switching to Physics from Business

Postby midwestphysics » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:23 pm

juventino wrote:Hi,

I'm almost 30 years old. I have Bachelor's of Commerce degree from India. It is a 3 year degree. I graduated in 2006. Since then I've been different kinds of work and am now settled into selling real estate.

But I really have this desire to study astronomy/astrophysics and I want to know which schools would be willing to consider an applicant like myself.

I would like to know how to prepare for the Physics GRE and even the Math GRE so I can demonstrate an ability in both to the admissions council.

The last time I studied Physics was in high school and as of now I know nothing in Physics or Math.

I am eager and would like to at least give the GREs a shot and see where I stand.

Please guide me towards good inexpensive books or list the topics I need to study and I will find alternative books in India.

Thanks!


If this is even a serious post you need to slow up a bit, you're looking at the wrong steps and stages, Start by forgeting about the PGRE and go get a physics undergrad. An intl with a business degree nearly a decade old with no research or even a single college level physics class has no chance at grad school in physics, even a perfect GRE would mean nothing. Especially for astrophysics, you don't even know if you like it yet or just like the sound of it, trust me on that one. It would be like a 2nd year undergrad applying for postdocs and assistant professorships.

juventino
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Re: Switching to Physics from Business

Postby juventino » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:54 am

midwestphysics wrote:
juventino wrote:Hi,

I'm almost 30 years old. I have Bachelor's of Commerce degree from India. It is a 3 year degree. I graduated in 2006. Since then I've been different kinds of work and am now settled into selling real estate.

But I really have this desire to study astronomy/astrophysics and I want to know which schools would be willing to consider an applicant like myself.

I would like to know how to prepare for the Physics GRE and even the Math GRE so I can demonstrate an ability in both to the admissions council.

The last time I studied Physics was in high school and as of now I know nothing in Physics or Math.

I am eager and would like to at least give the GREs a shot and see where I stand.

Please guide me towards good inexpensive books or list the topics I need to study and I will find alternative books in India.

Thanks!


If this is even a serious post you need to slow up a bit, you're looking at the wrong steps and stages, Start by forgeting about the PGRE and go get a physics undergrad. An intl with a business degree nearly a decade old with no research or even a single college level physics class has no chance at grad school in physics, even a perfect GRE would mean nothing. Especially for astrophysics, you don't even know if you like it yet or just like the sound of it, trust me on that one. It would be like a 2nd year undergrad applying for postdocs and assistant professorships.


I asked a few colleges and they said since I already have an undergrad degree I am not eligible for another one. That is why I posted this question for a Masters. Is it possible to transfer credits from my 3 year degree to an undergrad program in the US and reduce the no. of years I might have to spend doing a Bachelors?

TakeruK
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Switching to Physics from Business

Postby TakeruK » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:06 am

juventino wrote:I asked a few colleges and they said since I already have an undergrad degree I am not eligible for another one. That is why I posted this question for a Masters. Is it possible to transfer credits from my 3 year degree to an undergrad program in the US and reduce the no. of years I might have to spend doing a Bachelors?


It seems unlikely you will be able to transfer very many credits because they are so old, from a different country, and you already used them to fulfill requirements for another degree.

Most North American schools will only accept transfer credits for the first two years. So, you will need a minimum of 2 years in the US. However, many Physics programs will require a long list of pre-requisites so even if you are able to transfer non-Physics courses to meet the non-major requirements, it seems unlikely you would be able to finish all of first and second year required courses in less than two years (especially since at many schools, not every course is offered every term so you have to take them in order).

User avatar
midwestphysics
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am

Re: Switching to Physics from Business

Postby midwestphysics » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:51 am

juventino wrote:I asked a few colleges and they said since I already have an undergrad degree I am not eligible for another one. That is why I posted this question for a Masters. Is it possible to transfer credits from my 3 year degree to an undergrad program in the US and reduce the no. of years I might have to spend doing a Bachelors?


I don't know how it works where you're from, you may not be able to get a second undergrad there. In the US however people get them all the time. It's very unlikely that you'll be able to get into a top school for a variety of reasons but you may be able to get into a decent one. If you get into there and do good, get a lot of research under your belt and really stand out you'll have a decent shot at some respectable places. That being said you're still going to have to probably go that route, not a masters. You're going to have to overcome a lot of really tough odds, but if this is really what you want that's what it takes. The road is long and you'd basically be starting from square one.




Return to “Transitioning to Physics from a non-physics field”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron