Engineering (Electrical and Electronics) to PhD Physics

shriram1991

Engineering (Electrical and Electronics) to PhD Physics

Post by shriram1991 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:31 pm

Hello guys,

I have completed my bachelor of engineering in electrical and electronics with 3.5 GPA (I think thats 77% in India). I want to do PhD in Theoretical Physics. I am going to take GRE, TOEFL and PGRE this year. Do I need anything else other than a good GRE, TOEFL, PGRE scores and recommendation letter? Because I am from engineering field. I have completed edx course on CM which was given by MITx, now working on an astrophysics course. Do those certificates help me in the process of admission?

collectedsoul

Re: Engineering (Electrical and Electronics) to PhD Physics

Post by collectedsoul » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Those online courses don't really have much value. But you can mention them in your SOP. Focus on getting a good Physics GRE score - that's crucial for you since it'll be your only claim to excellence in physics. It also helps if you had some physics courses in your engineering.

krisna

Post by krisna » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi Shriram,

I just shifted from ECE to theoretical physics. Apart from taking the standardized tests it will be better if you could do atleast one research project in physics. When I applied to universities, I already had 3 summer projects in my profile, and I guess that's the main reason why I got admit from most of the universities I applied to. If your summer project turns out well, you could also get a good reco from your project guide. Further, if you could get a publication from the project, your admission in some good university is almost assured (assuming you also have good GRE scores).

shriram1991

Post by shriram1991 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi krisna,

I think the last are over for this year's projects. When should I do these summer projects and when should I apply for the universities (if I take the test this year) ?

krisna

Post by krisna » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:17 pm

shriram1991 wrote:Hi krisna,

I think the last are over for this year's projects. When should I do these summer projects and when should I apply for the universities (if I take the test this year) ?
I guess the best option that is available to you as of now is to mail a prof. at some research institute and ask if you could work under him over the summer.