Is Gravity for me?

rivnat

Is Gravity for me?

Post by rivnat » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:50 pm

Hi, I'm a senior year Electrical & Electronics Engineering student currently doing research work in Photonics. I want to do my PhD in High energy Physics i.e. Gravity.. So for this I'm preparing for PGRE.. I've a question, how much is it probable for me to get access to Gravity as I've no previous experience on High energy Physics and more importantly I'm not a Physics major.. Will it be any problem?

Thanks.

kap09c

Re: Is Gravity for me?

Post by kap09c » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:51 am

I'm not really sure what photonics is. Do you do work in theory or experiment? Electrical engineering is the engineering that's closest to physics, but your training is still far off from a typical physics undergrad. I say that unless you get 950+ and have a kick ass reason for switching + over the top letters of rec from a physicist, you'll be looking at schools ranked 30 and below depending on your grades/experience. At a school like that it's unclear what your future will be in academia. Those of us who studied physics and math can't even get high energy positions ourselves.

rivnat

Re: Is Gravity for me?

Post by rivnat » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:45 pm

I'm not really sure what photonics is. Do you do work in theory or experiment? Electrical engineering is the engineering that's closest to physics, but your training is still far off from a typical physics undergrad. I say that unless you get 950+ and have a kick ass reason for switching + over the top letters of rec from a physicist, you'll be looking at schools ranked 30 and below depending on your grades/experience. At a school like that it's unclear what your future will be in academia. Those of us who studied physics and math can't even get high energy positions ourselves.
Thanks. As far I know, Photonics is the study of manipulating light (Applied EM). I am working in theory. By the way, thanks for enlightening me. So, there is no use to take PGRE?