From Electrical & Electronic Engineering to Physics

shawon4physics

From Electrical & Electronic Engineering to Physics

Post by shawon4physics » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:40 pm

Hello everyone
I am from Bangladesh.I am doing my Undergraduate in Electrical & Electronic Engineering.I have only 4 months left to complete my Undergraduate Degree.But from my childhood I wanted to study Theoretical Physics and I always wanted to be a physicist.But I couldn't study Theoretical Physics in undergraduate level for some reason.Now I want to take admission in a graduate program in physics in USA.Is it possible ?As far as I know Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Physics are closely related.I am planning to take the Physics GRE in April,2015.As an student of EEE I have obviously done some Physics and Mathematics course in my University.I am giving some example here.

#Special theory of relativity
#Wave-Particle duality
#Quantum Mechanics (Introductory Level like Schrödinger equation and its applications)
#Semiconductor devices
#The Rutherford-Bohr model of the atom, energy levels and spectra, atomic excitation, the Laser, Quantum theory of the hydrogen atom, the Zeeman effect, electron spin, many electron atoms and the exclusion principle
#Maxwell's equations: Their derivatives, continuity of charges, concepts of displacement currents. Boundary conditions for time varying systems. Potentials used with varying charges and currents. Retarded potentials. Maxwell's equations in different coordinate systems
#band theory from molecular orbital, Bloch theorem,Kronig-Penny model, electron effective mass, density of states.
#Maxwell Boltzman and Fermi Dirac distribution, Fermi energy Level.

I didn't include classical mechanics here.
Furthermore I have done mathematical courses that are needed for Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

At this moment my GPA is 3.88 and I am really confident that I will get a very good score in Physics GRE.
Do you think any University will take me in the Graduate Course in Theoretical Physics ? Can you guys give me some advice that I should follow ?I will always be grateful to you.

Thank You...

photomagnetic

Re: From Electrical & Electronic Engineering to Physics

Post by photomagnetic » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:58 am

get a good pgre score, all will go well =)

shawon4physics

Post by shawon4physics » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:21 am

Thank you very much @photomagnetic :) :) :)

kathiravangg

Post by kathiravangg » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:14 am

I have the same profile but I am from India. I am applying for Fall 14. I hope to get admits. A good score on the PGRE and GRE will help. Choose schools wisely.