"Non-Traditional" applicant... Which programs within reach?

84runner

"Non-Traditional" applicant... Which programs within reach?

Post by 84runner » Mon May 20, 2013 1:15 pm

So, I'm one of those "Engineers interested in Physics" but hopefully I have a little more information to help out. My Profile:

Undergrad Institution: Mid-size to Large State School, good Eng. reputation, OK Physics reputation (top 50)
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Minor: Math
GPA: 3.86
Length of Degree: 4 years
Class Rank: Magna Cum Laude, not sure of # Rank
Type of Student: domestic white male (I'm 27, graduated in 2008)

GRE Scores:
Q: (not yet taken)
V: (not yet taken)
W: (not yet taken)
P: 850 (04/20/2013)

Research Experience: All Professional - Semiconductor/photovoltaic device process engineering at thin-film start-up (2 years full-time as process eng.) 2008-2010; Solar device integration at private company (6 months, 2011)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Honors, Dean's List...

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Day job currently as a Mechanical Design Engineer (interested in a career change obviously...)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Basic cleanroom / optics skills

Applying to Where: Well, this is the question! I know I am interested in probably a Materials Science program (wonder if I'd be able to get into a pure Physics dept. with no formal quantum, modern physics, etc. in undergrad? I learned this through my research job and have somewhat proved I'm comfortable with these subjects with my pGRE I think...)

I'm interested in semiconductor materials, solid-state physics, photonics, and optics. The advice given to me was apply to a Materials Science program (better chance of getting in than Physics). I want to work in industry most likely in the long run, with the aim of being something like a head R&D or principal process engineer.

I'm interested in Colorado School of Mines (mostly because of partnerships with NREL), and living in NC my safety will likely be NC State, but what other schools are within my "realm"? What about some slight stretch schools?

I know I'm a few years out of school which will factor in there somewhere (good or bad, probably both really...)

Thanks!

bosemicrowave

Re: "Non-Traditional" applicant... Which programs within reach?

Post by bosemicrowave » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:17 pm

84runner wrote:So, I'm one of those "Engineers interested in Physics" but hopefully I have a little more information to help out. My Profile:

Undergrad Institution: Mid-size to Large State School, good Eng. reputation, OK Physics reputation (top 50)
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Minor: Math
GPA: 3.86
Length of Degree: 4 years
Class Rank: Magna Cum Laude, not sure of # Rank
Type of Student: domestic white male (I'm 27, graduated in 2008)

GRE Scores:
Q: (not yet taken)
V: (not yet taken)
W: (not yet taken)
P: 850 (04/20/2013)

Research Experience: All Professional - Semiconductor/photovoltaic device process engineering at thin-film start-up (2 years full-time as process eng.) 2008-2010; Solar device integration at private company (6 months, 2011)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Honors, Dean's List...

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Day job currently as a Mechanical Design Engineer (interested in a career change obviously...)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Basic cleanroom / optics skills

Applying to Where: Well, this is the question! I know I am interested in probably a Materials Science program (wonder if I'd be able to get into a pure Physics dept. with no formal quantum, modern physics, etc. in undergrad? I learned this through my research job and have somewhat proved I'm comfortable with these subjects with my pGRE I think...)

I'm interested in semiconductor materials, solid-state physics, photonics, and optics. The advice given to me was apply to a Materials Science program (better chance of getting in than Physics). I want to work in industry most likely in the long run, with the aim of being something like a head R&D or principal process engineer.

I'm interested in Colorado School of Mines (mostly because of partnerships with NREL), and living in NC my safety will likely be NC State, but what other schools are within my "realm"? What about some slight stretch schools?

I know I'm a few years out of school which will factor in there somewhere (good or bad, probably both really...)

Thanks!
I'm also in your path,the only difference is I'm Computer science major who want to go for Quantum Computing,Quantum optics,Quantum technology(i.e cryptography,teleportation,BEC etc) which comes under AMO depertment.I've also got some interest in inventions such as Fiber Optics, Quantum Technology which are related with modern application of Quantumphysics or Quantum Computing.MY Q:98%,V:45%,AWA:58%,may be I will take it one more time but PGRE is the toghest nut to crack right now.