From Engineering to Applied Physics.

harini08

From Engineering to Applied Physics.

Post by harini08 » Sun May 05, 2013 5:51 am

Hello,

I am an Electronics and Instrumentation Engg major(graduating in 2013). I am interested in pursuing a Ph.D in Physics. I am aware that I do not have the required physics background for the same. I went through the earlier threads and learned that research experience and good grades on the PGRE would go a long way. As I went through the academic programs offered by various universities (in USA) , I realised that Applied Physics maybe a good option. Also, the websites say that due to the interdisciplinary nature of the field, Engg graduates are also eligible to apply. I would like to how good an option Applied Physics actually is for an Engg graduate. I would also like to know what i can do enhance my profile keeping Applied Physics in mind or if the suggestions given in the earlier threads would hold good. I have already taken the GRE (V-156;Q-165;W-3.5) and yet to take the PGRE. Your suggestions and advice please!

P.S. I went through a lot of threads before posting this. Kindly excuse if this is repetitive! :)

Guitarfire

Re: From Engineering to Applied Physics.

Post by Guitarfire » Sun May 05, 2013 10:24 am

I am also an Engineering graduate and I would like to change my field to physics.I have searched internet and found out that Engineering is not disconnected from Physics,it is a misconception.Even the professor with whom I am doing an internship says that Engineers have technical thinking and first hand experience with MATLAB and other electrical devices, so it would help to get into a Experimental PhD program.Since you are interested in applied or experimental side,an Engineering degree would be sufficient.You might have to learn Classical Mechanics,Quantum Mechanics and Electrodynamics and get a good score on Physics GRE exam.I suppose you are an international student and so you would need a good profile.
Get into contact with some of Physics professors from your university and ask them about the possibility of a under graduate project or internship this summer.If you demonstrate that you can do research in Physics by doing a summer project and get a 900+ on Physics GRE,your Engineering degree wouldn't be a problem to get an admission.Hope that helps!

harini08

Post by harini08 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Thank you! May I know when you are planning to apply? :)

Niveditha

Post by Niveditha » Mon May 26, 2014 5:44 am

I am also an Engineering student from India who has graduated just recently. i plan to study for PGRE and apply for fall 2015. Lot of confusion on how to preapre, what to apply for and university options.
first step I plan to prepare for the Physics GRE for OCt, 2014. Any of you plannin to give now?

What about Experimentalphysics options in Europe?

Thank you@

gaurangparkar

Post by gaurangparkar » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:31 am

I am also from an Engineering background planning to take pgre in october. But now there is no chance for doing any research projects before applications. so What is the best i can do