eligibility criteria for getting admission in MS(physics)

rahulrgupta27

eligibility criteria for getting admission in MS(physics)

Post by rahulrgupta27 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:53 am

hi friends,
i have completed my BE in IT(similar to CSe) branch, and want to do Masters in physics.

as far as my knowledge says- in India every university or research organisation wants atleast 2year(=4sems) course in physics and 1year(=2sems) course in maths to get admission in Masters degree in physics. (tell me if some organisation donot requires these eligibility.)

So i had to go for GRE, but i dont know whether these restricstions are also present in GRE also while you are changing your branch from IT(software engineer) to physics.

Also tell me something about how much importance the LOR is needed there and the other eligibility criteria for getting admissions in the MS in physics.

please help me out in these queries..
thankyou waitint for your reply-
Rahul. :)

blackcat007

Re: eligibility criteria for getting admission in MS(physics)

Post by blackcat007 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:32 am

rahulrgupta27 wrote: as far as my knowledge says- in India every university or research organisation wants atleast 2year(=4sems) course in physics and 1year(=2sems) course in maths to get admission in Masters degree in physics. (tell me if some organisation donot requires these eligibility.)
in India there are research institutes like HRI,RRI,IUCAA,IIA,SINP etc where you can do a PhD integrated MS course after doing even B.Tech.. but you need to take JEST +interview of individual institutes. only IIT's compulsorily require you to have a physics degree in physics. i know some who have forsaken their engineering jobs and are now doing research in HRI.
So i had to go for GRE, but i dont know whether these restricstions are also present in GRE also while you are changing your branch from IT(software engineer) to physics.
I really don't understand this question
Also tell me something about how much importance the LOR is needed there and the other eligibility criteria for getting admissions in the MS in physics.

whats LOR? the only LOR i know is lunar orbit rendezvous :D

you should spend some time reading out posts in this forum, many useful info have already been discussed, it will not only answer your queries but also let you know many more things..

rahulrgupta27

Post by rahulrgupta27 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:25 pm

thankyou for replying....

By LOR i meant "letter of recommendation".

I also wanted to know whether similar restrictions of eligibility ie having atleast 2years course in physics and 1 year course in math are required in gre also?

But respected mam/sir i could'nt get anywhere in the eligibility that Bachelors from any discpline can come in to Masters degree in physics, if you can give me the link stating the same (that is - the BE student from CSe are also eligible for taking admission in the MSc in physics or they are eligilble for JEST exam), then it would be more clear and better for me.

once again thankyou for replying me with so many institutes names, if u know any more institutes in india then plz tell me. :)
-Rahul.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:51 pm

I also wanted to know whether similar restrictions of eligibility ie having atleast 2years course in physics and 1 year course in math are required in gre also?

GREs and TOEFL are conducted by ETS, they don't give a damn what you are till the time you pay them their registration fee and have a valid passport. Universities do give a damn about your degree, but as i told, there are many cases where people from engg background have changed to physics.
But respected mam/sir i could'nt get anywhere in the eligibility that Bachelors from any discpline can come in to Masters degree in physics, if you can give me the link stating the same (that is - the BE student from CSe are also eligible for taking admission in the MSc in physics or they are eligilble for JEST exam), then it would be more clear and better for me.
http://www.hri.res.in/~physgradp/index.html#ciphd
once again thankyou for replying me with so many institutes names, if u know any more institutes in india then plz tell me. :)
-Rahul.
google them, all the best :)

rahulrgupta27

Post by rahulrgupta27 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:13 am

blackcat007 wrote:

i- But respected mam/sir i could'nt get anywhere in the eligibility that Bachelors from any discpline can come in to Masters degree in physics, if you can give me the link stating the same (that is - the BE student from CSe are also eligible for taking admission in the MSc in physics or they are eligilble for JEST exam), then it would be more clear and better for me.

u replied-
http://www.hri.res.in/~physgradp/index.html#ciphd
i think sir at this point i couldn't made myself much clear.
Actually, i didn't wanted the link of the syllabus of MSc physics.
But i needed the official link which shows that BE students from CSe branch are eligible for the MSc in physics in Indian colleges.

well anyways thanks for syllabus too.

Also tell me how much importance does the i)Letter Of Recommendation, ii)(bachelor degree's) Academics marks and iii)Institute name keeps in taking admission in GRE colleges.
OR is it like that if i score good marks in GRE and Tofel then all the above three things mentioned are not of much importance in taking admission in good GRE colleges.

Thankyou for replying.
-Rahul.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:28 pm

i think sir at this point i couldn't made myself much clear.
Actually, i didn't wanted the link of the syllabus of MSc physics.
But i needed the official link which shows that BE students from CSe branch are eligible for the MSc in physics in Indian colleges.

well anyways thanks for syllabus too.
well i think you should post only after reading the link carefully that i gave you. scroll up and read the 1st paragraph.
Also tell me how much importance does the i)Letter Of Recommendation, ii)(bachelor degree's) Academics marks and iii)Institute name keeps in taking admission in GRE colleges.
OR is it like that if i score good marks in GRE and Tofel then all the above three things mentioned are not of much importance in taking admission in good GRE colleges.

Thankyou for replying.
-Rahul.
i am not going to tell you anything more.. read through this forum and you will know, all of these have already been discussed. noone can tell you the exact answer for your question. this is the thing that makes the admission process in US grad schools the most unpredictable.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:03 am

rahulrgupta27 wrote:Also tell me how much importance does the i)Letter Of Recommendation, ii)(bachelor degree's) Academics marks and iii)Institute name keeps in taking admission in GRE colleges.
Letters of recommendation, and grades are very important. A good GRE score alone will not in general get you into top 50 institutions. Your institute name is also important, but less so than the first two.