Should I stay or should I go?

sauladama029

Should I stay or should I go?

Post by sauladama029 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:23 am

I did my undergrad in Chemical Engineering (B.S.) and Physics (B.A.) at UT-Austin and doing my M.S. in Petroleum Engineering at Texas A&M. I've realized that I'm not truly passionate about pursuing my Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering and want to dedicate my life to research in Physics. I'm honestly a so-so student from a grades perspective, in undergrad, I struggled with health issues and got an overall 3.2 GPA, and got about a 3.3-3.4 in my physics core courses. At grad school level, while I've done mostly research in the computational realm I don't have much experimental work to supplement and while I've been doing fine (mostly A's in my PETE coursework) I do have some bad grades from health reasons again.

I really can't leave the state for health and family reasons so I'm quite limited to UT, Texas A&M, and Rice University. Realistically do I have a shot at any of those programs, or should I stay the path and finish my Ph.D. in something I don't truly love. If so do I have a strong shot at resuscitating my chances with a strong PGRE and GRE scores?