Going to grad school for physics and astronomy with B.S. in Mathematics

Lillib123

Going to grad school for physics and astronomy with B.S. in Mathematics

Post by Lillib123 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:32 pm

I've been looking into grad programs for physics and astronomy. I have a Bachelor's of science in Mathematics, and I'm wondering how hard it would be to not only get into a graduate level physics/astronomy program (do well on the PGRE) but also how hard it would be for someone to succeed in the actual courses without a background in physics. I just find astronomy and physics fascinating, but doing well in a masters program feels a bit hopeless without any training in physics or research experience.

Has anyone else made this transition? Any words of advice?

Lilli

IMSSEQMC

Re: Going to grad school for physics and astronomy with B.S. in Mathematics

Post by IMSSEQMC » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 am

Hi, so although I haven't personally done that route myself, I know someone who did (they had a B.A. in math, worked at a space telescope research institute, did a M.S. in astronomy at San Diego State, and are currently a Ph.D. in astronomy at UC Davis). I met them and got their contact information at a Physics Grad Admissions Bootcamp at UC Davis (they spoke about their research which was also pretty cool). Her website is here and she would probably be able to better answer this question: https://azaleebostroem.wordpress.com/contact/