From Computer Animation BS to Physics MS?

Wobobo

From Computer Animation BS to Physics MS?

Post by Wobobo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been reading some of the topics in this sub-forum and I can see that my case is definitely one of the hard ones, requiring a lot of hard work to compensate for my lack of practical knowledge on the subject. Before I explain my situation I’d like to have anyone who is reading this know that I do am not lacking in the area of motivation, or ability to work hard and succeed in so-called impossible situations. That’ll do for an introduction!

I am a Computer Animation graduate. How in the hell did I transition from entertainment to science? It’s a long story that starts in high school, but I won’t go deep into it unless someone is somehow interested enough to ask (though I doubt it). Here’s what you need to know:
  • I am 21 years old.
  • I graduated with a Bachelors degree in 2 years through an accelerated program and lack of social life.
  • I will work as hard as I can to make this possible, but that doesn’t mean I want to take the long and hard path. Time and efficiency are precious.
  • I am lacking financially.
  • My Computer Animation GPA was 2.72, which is not high, but... wrong major + i've changed.
If I could, I would try to start from 0 again, seeing that there are a lot of things I should already know before pursuing another degree in a completely different field, but I cant. My father will not pay for my education unless I am moving forward and not back, so if I want to study physics, I can either pay for an undergraduate degree myself (which I cant), or make the jump for a graduate degree.

How would you suggest I get started, and prepare to apply for a masters degree in “X” university with a deadline of about 1 year?

RelevantJesse

Re: From Computer Animation BS to Physics MS?

Post by RelevantJesse » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Are you in the US?

You've probably already saw my posts, but I'm transitioning from Computer Science to Astrophysics. I'm 33 and will be funding my own education. The good news is that you're still young and have lots of time for this "course correction". So here's what I've found out so far...

There aren't a lot of schools, especially in the US, that offer a MS in physics. From what I've read, having a MSc often times means you dropped out of a PhD program and may not help you out too much. And even if it would be helpful, the chances of getting into any decent Master's program with no formal physics courses is a bit of a stretch. Any program you are able to get accepted into (maybe something like a Strayer U or something) likely wouldn't be well respected enough to help much. And to make things worse, you'd still have that low gpa and non-physics undergrad haunting you.

So I know it's not what you want to hear (and I'm likely going to be doing this, too, and I know it sucks), but I think getting a second undergrad degree is your only option if you're serious about transitioning. I have reached out to a local university and found out that I'll only really need to do the core physics courses and a couple of math courses to get my 2nd bachelor's, so it shouldn't take a lot of time/money, hopefully.

I know you said it's not a possibility and you can't pay for it, but... well, I think you have to make it work, I really don't see any other option.