about McGill Admission

adityaphysicsbhu

about McGill Admission

Post by adityaphysicsbhu » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:58 am

Hi,
I am C.V.Aditya applied to McGill for M.Sc in Physics for winter 2012. I got toefl 98 and my GPA is (65.1%) in Master's(from BHU) and my B.Sc is (64% overall and 74% in physics). I have one article communicated in EJTP and I have one conference talk at International Congress of Mathematics-2010. Now my concern is what are my chances getting selected for M.Sc in physics at McGill university. Do they take ample number of students for winter session. Pl kindly reply who are currently studying at McGill university.

TheBeast

Re: about McGill Admission

Post by TheBeast » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:18 pm

I don't know how your grades translate to the 4.0 GPA scale, so I can't comment on how competitive your application is. That being said, most people who apply to McGill's MSc program don't have a paper or a conference talk, so that plays to your advantage.

What I do know is that very few students are admitted in the Winter term. Although officially you can apply to start in the winter, in practice the physics department doesn't usually admit anyone at that time. I do know of a couple of students who were admitted for the winter term, but they both had extensive contact with the department beforehand and had supervisors that really wanted them as students.

My suggestion to you is to get in contact as soon as possible with profs at McGill who you would like to work with. Explain to them that you've already submitted your application for the winter session. If someone is impressed by your experience and credentials, it will help your chances of being admitted.

adityaphysicsbhu

Post by adityaphysicsbhu » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:40 am

Hi,
I think according to 4.0 scale it is 3.7. You are right I am in consultations with few profs but there are no responses. But I will not leave and try till end........thanks for your response
regards
adi

michael

Post by michael » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:33 pm

Try to let the admissions committee know your position in the class and how many students there are. I mean something like "5th out of 80 students" or something like that.