15 years of education???

Rose.w

15 years of education???

Postby Rose.w » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:15 am

I am looking forward to pursue my master's in Physics from US but most schools require qualifications comparable to a U.S. Bachelor’s degree (Four-Year Degree Program) or a minimum of 16 years of formal education, and i have only 15 years of formal education,i.e.,10+2 and +3 years of bachelor's from India.
so,are there any universities which accept 15 years of formal education for admission???

siroy.sam

Re: 15 years of education???

Postby siroy.sam » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:03 pm

16 years of education is prerequisite for US graduate school entry. Indian students normally apply either after BE(12+4) or MSc (12+3+2). So, you must first complete your MSc first year at least to initiate application process. In the mean time, to strengthen your profile, attend summer/ winter schools at various research center within India and try joining some short term research projects at institutes like TIFR, HRI or IISC.

Rose.w

Postby Rose.w » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:48 am

ok..thank you so much... :)

SPat

Postby SPat » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:51 pm

siroy.sam wrote:16 years of education is prerequisite for US graduate school entry. Indian students normally apply either after BE(12+4) or MSc (12+3+2). So, you must first complete your MSc first year at least to initiate application process.

Not (strictly) true, check my profile. Yes, I am cashing in on my bragging rights.

raindropz

Postby raindropz » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:22 am

I have also completed a 3 year degree program and now looking forward to do my higher studies in US. I was not aware about this 4 year degree qualification. Are there any equivalent 1 year courses which can be done to cover this problem?
cable tv alternatives Adamz
Last edited by raindropz on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

TakeruK

Postby TakeruK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:03 pm

raindropz wrote:I have also completed a 3 year degree program and now looking forward to do my higher studies in US. I was not aware about this 4 year degree qualification. Are there any equivalent 1 year courses which can be done to cover this problem?

Sometimes international students are accepted with 3 year degree programs instead of 4. But this can be rare and varies a lot on the school you are applying to. You should contact each school you are interested in and see if they will consider your application with a 3 year degree program.

If it turns out they would prefer 4 years, one good option is to do a 1 or 2 year masters program. Masters programs in the US are generally not funded but maybe you can find a good program somewhere else that is either funded or at least affordable. Almost every single international student I know at a good school either has a 4 year undergrad degree or did 3 years + masters degree before starting grad school.

Return to “Special Concerns for International Students”